Use of a table saw to cut sheet material in London

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a lot of leftover sheet material from building some wardrobes. Happily, I have pretty much exactly what I need to make a set the drawers I would like to build in to one of the wardrobes. This is a mixture of 18mm ply and veneered mdf. The drawers will be about 600mm wide and 350mm deep.

The problem I have is that I have no way to (accurately) cut the material to size, to make the drawers. I have - inexplicably - three mitre saws (one with a double bevel which allows me to make accurate cuts about 20cm long); a terrible jigsaw that doesn't cut straight; and a few hand saws (I don't have the skill to cut a straight enough line with a hand saw). What I would love, is a table saw. It wouldn't need to be huge - I'm working with off-cuts and the largest is about a quarter of the size of a full sheet. However, buying (and then storing) a table saw just for this job is not really practical. Buying a circular saw just for this job would be a bit expensive too, plus I don't really have anything to clamp the sheets to while I cut them.

Is there anybody out there that cuts down sheet material to size, where they do not supply the material? Or is there somewhere I can take my material to cut it down myself? A high school workshop would be ideal, but I cannot find any school that advertises this. I have found a workshop you can rent for £60 a day, but it has to be during the week and it's a long way away... and to be honest, I'd rather have somebody who knows what they are doing cut the material for me.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You can get a circ saw for your £60. All you need is a couple of sawhorses and a sheet of ply (or mdf, or old kitchen worktop) for your working area, couple of small clamps and you are all set. You'll get it right after a few goes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back