Use of rubber underlay in the loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We are changing carpets and as per advice we are changing the underlay too.
The underlay that we are replacing is the thick rubber type and is in good condition - I could have saved a few pennies methinks.
Anyway it's lifted now and I was going to use it as loft insulation.
But my wife was told today that it is unsuitable because it's a fire risk - and then poisonous if it does catch fire.
Does anyone know if this is right?
I've searched on here and further afield but can't see any mention of anyone doing it or declaring it a safety risk
Thank you for your support as usual,
Pete

Sponsored Links
LOL, like your thinking.
I'm sure it will burn if I actually set it alight but the inference my wife was given was that the heat in the loft could cause it to catch fire by itself.
I'm sceptical.
Maybe I should test in the sunshine with a magnifying glass but that would be more intense than the roof space on a hot day I think.
Anyone else have an opinion? Cheers, Pete

my wife was given was that the heat in the loft could cause it to catch fire by itself.
I'm sceptical.

That is not a concern unless your wife - or whichever friend gave her that advice - is using your loft to grow canabis plants under heat lamps and hasn’t told you.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back