User Friendly Timer Unit or Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My mother does not have great eyesight but can see a little. Our timer unit for our Ideal Classic is not user friendly...ie she needs a timer unit with large buttons easily read AND...a simple ON/0FF CONTINUOUS button for both Water and Heat.

This is a Gas Centrel Heating Domestic system.

I realise the industry may not have such a unit and I wonder if a second option my be possible? Could we have the current unit replaced by a plubmer or spark with two simple switches ....one for water and one for heating?

Im in Belfast....any links please advise.

bernard001

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.....having taken a quick look at your recommendations user guide, I dont see an ON or OFF button ???

Let me explain again....what I need is a unit that ( irrespective of any possible programmed hours ) can be completely over ridden using a simply ON / OFF toggled button?

So lets say the Master Supply is OFF.....Mother can simply turn the Master On.....and then have a Water button and a Heat button that can run On or OFF continually on a toggled basis?

Ask if this is not clear and I will explain again....

bernard001

Update; Just saw via your link....that the Drayton LP241 might be the way to go....will call manu and clarify. Later

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply.....having taken a quick look at your recommendations user guide, I dont see an ON or OFF button ???

Let me explain again....what I need is a unit that ( irrespective of any possible programmed hours ) can be completely over ridden using a simply ON / OFF toggled button?

So lets say the Master Supply is OFF.....Mother can simply turn the Master On.....and then have a Water button and a Heat button that can run On or OFF continually on a toggled basis?

Ask if this is not clear and I will explain again....

bernard001

Update; Just saw via your link....that the Drayton LP241 might be the way to go....will call manu and clarify. Later

well. lets hope so as, with your attitude, there is little likelihood of any further help. And as far as "proper" products go, Ian's was a perfectly good suggestion

Sponsored Links
Is that truly what you want?

Would it not be better to have a timer/thermerstat with a setback temperature?

Then you can set it so the building is always above 15c.

They often have a “boast” button that will increase the temperature to the “occupied” temperature when pressed.

As to hot water, I think it should just be timed, maybe with a “boast” button that gives it 1hr if she runs out of how water.

If you do just want a time switch with override buttons, then I like the Honeywell ST9400A, as it has “Extra hour” buttons for when you just want a bit of heat or hot water, and “Overide” button that toggles the on/off state until the next timer event.

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies....( re: attitude ?) just looking for advice . Anyhow, the LP241 like most does not have the requirement.

I also checked out the rest of the recommendations and still it seems that no unit is made which has a simple Toggle ON/OFF for Water and Heat.

All units do require good vision and a fair degree of intellect to grasp fully.

In my mothers case, having seen what the industry has to offer, Im thinking the best option will be to contact a heating engineer and have him/her install two seperate switches , one for Water, one for Heat to be toggled on or off continually as required.

bernard001

Hi,

Now I have two options to solve.

1. Remove existing timer unit and an engineer can install individual Water and Heat toggle switches for continuous as required.

2.The Danfoss link above ( SET3M ) is a super option with the 'override' function allowing individual manual toggle re cont water and or cont heat as required.

Thank you,

bernard001

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back