Uses for under floor crawl space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so i have a decent under floor crawl space and i'm wondering if there's anything i can do with it.

Approx 1950s brick build bungalow (cavity wall, no insulation)

The under floor space has been filled with a slurry mix, but i have approx 500 - 1000 worth of height between the bottom of the joists and the slurry mix.

i have two dogs, and was wondering about opening up the space either for the dogs or for storage (no loft so no storage upstairs)

What do you guys think, or am i mad?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I suppose what you have in effect is a tiny cellar and cellars have of course been used for ages for storage. However , as newboy has pointed out damp would be a problem . Sticking in extra airbricks may help but it still won't be an ideal storage area , think how musty cellars are and what was usually kept in them coal or maybe you wine collection but certainly not anything suspect able to damp. Personally I can't help thinking that the height could be a problem too , stumbling round on your knees and banging your head sons stops being fun. As it's only a underfloor space rather than a proper cellar I'm assuming there isn't a proper access to it so how were you thinking of getting your worldly goods or furry friends down there?
If you do have access the first thing I'd do is to use that access to insulate the floor.

One of my dads friends fitted something like this into his under floor space:

wine-cellar-underneath-floor.jpg

theres a few houses in my town that had very deep oversites,and over the years peeps decided to fill it all up with various building debris,only to regret it after there floors flood. :LOL:

I suppose what you have in effect is a tiny cellar and cellars have of course been used for ages for storage. However , as newboy has pointed out damp would be a problem . Sticking in extra airbricks may help but it still won't be an ideal storage area , think how musty cellars are and what was usually kept in them coal or maybe you wine collection but certainly not anything suspect able to damp. Personally I can't help thinking that the height could be a problem too , stumbling round on your knees and banging your head sons stops being fun. As it's only a underfloor space rather than a proper cellar I'm assuming there isn't a proper access to it so how were you thinking of getting your worldly goods or furry friends down there?
If you do have access the first thing I'd do is to use that access to insulate the floor.

Already looking into insulating the floor. This is exactly the reason that got me thinking of a use for the space.

Access could/would be through a new opening in the back wall and i could soon form a pit or steps down to it.

Currently have a rather large dog flap in my back door, so thought this could be an alternative to them having the run of the house (plus more security for the house while i'm out)

I could always render the walls, and possibly dig down deeper to the foundations (unsure of their level at the minute)

Install a sump pump in one corner for any ground/surface water etc

Digging down makes sense if structrually it can be done.

You could make it part of the insulated shell, rather than insulate just the floor.

Insulate the 'basement' walls and floor, probably would require tanking. The ventillation is only there to keep the cold uninsulated un-tanked elements dry. You would want to do some research to make sure nothing untoward may cause moisture issues, but it has been done.

Lot of effort and expense though.

Thanks Aron,

Just seems such a waste of space, but i'll be doing lots of different things to the house so everything is always an option.

I'm a QS so know plenty of people, but tend to do a lot of things myself, so it's just material prices really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back