Uses of gap either side of decking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

My decking is 4.2m wide while the garden is 4.45m wide. This leaves a 10-15cm gap either side of the decking (315cm length).

My original plan was to fill it with white cobbles topped with small white stones to give a border either side. Solar lights would then be placed in the border. However, I've since calculated the cost for all of that stone ~£240!

An alternative would be to use cheap bricks to fill most of the 20cm height to the top of the deck boards but I am worried about drainage. The decking was built with the recommended gradient slope and weed-proof membrane was also laid.

Any comments or alternative suggestions? E.g. lay a layer of stones and live with the step up to the decking either side?

Note: The front facing portion of the decking has a face board with LED lights. The sides are exposed joists that will be covered with decking oil or wood end to protect it.

Sponsored Links
I am sure one of the experts on here will better advise you but, FWIW, do you really want to be putting anything next to the joists/boards which will get wet and thus transfer damp on to the wood - either by splashing or adjacent contact??

There is also the matter of airflow for the deck (albeit I am not sure from your description what other airflow you have)

Just my tuppence worth but you will obviously want the whole deck to last as long as possible so best to avoid anything which may lessen its life.

I am sure one of the professionals on here will give you a solution.

B

For the life of me I can't see why your deck is narrower than the space its in.....

However, what about some decking-clad planters to cover ofer the gaps, or seating....?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back