using a double gang switch for light and radial circuits?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I'm asking for troubles perhaps but here I go....
Is it ok to use a 2 gang switch to turn on/off the light with one switch and the fan with the other? The switch should be located just outside the bathroom....to operate a led transformer and a fan.
There is a peculiarity in this instance in that one switch should be connected to the light circuit (as normal) and the other to a radial circuit...:eek:

Technically is feasible, but of course there are safety and regs to consider....
No, I haven't installed anything like this - just wondering.

Sponsored Links
If by "radial" you mean a 16A or 20A circuit then it's a no-no as the light switch will only be rated as far as 10A and the fan certainly won't be 16A rated. And of course you should try not to have multiple circuits inside one accessory (though it obviously happens a lot with lighting as we all know). Why not feed the fan from the same circuit as the light, just separately switched? That would tick all the boxes.

PJ

Do you mean that you'll take power from the lighting circuit with a neutral and earth at the switches - all protected by the 6A MCB? The fan and transformer would then each be fed from the switch by a single cable on what you describe as the radials?
If so then this would be fine, assuming that you'd use a typical domestic extractor which needs much less than one amp; in reality no different to having a timer or humidistat fan wired from the lighting circuit. You could just have a live at the switch (as in most light switches) and take the neutrals from the fan and transformer back to the lighting loop but this would be messy.

Sponsored Links
while I'll try to make sense of all your sensible comments (I'm in the process of it...), I have to point out that the 2 circuits are at all times separates - only I'd like to use a single item (a double gang switch) to control both of them independently - at no point the light circuit will interfere with the radial used for the fan.
It would be useful to use the light circuit for the fan but this would mean dismantling the ceiling and more...
Basically the "naughty" bit is that I'd like to use a device designed for a light circuit for both a radial and a light circuit...

A light circuit is a radial.

I don't see how it has a bearing on the switch....

yes, but you must use a fused connection unit between the power circuit and the switch to fuse down to 3A

Welll, in the end to keep things safe and simple I'm thinking of adopting the hygrometer trigger of the humidistat to switch the fan on/off manually (it's a bit awkward cos' one need a screwdriver) - in fact, the unit seems quite reliable and I'm expecting there will be little need to any extra secondary trigger...(time will tell).
Then, there is always the option of using a remote switch like those sold by Home Easy (Maplin).

yes, but you must use a fused connection unit between the power circuit and the switch to fuse down to 3A
All circuits are power circuits - that's what they are for, powering things.

There is no distinction between a lighting circuit and a radial circuit.

There is nothing to say that a radial circuit must have an FCU.

All circuits are power circuits - that's what they are for, powering things.

There is no distinction between a lighting circuit and a radial circuit.

There is nothing to say that a radial circuit must have an FCU.

Since the issue is resolved - I can afford wasting my time with our beloved BAN who apparently can only enter discussions to let us know how inadequate we are...
Despite my inappropriate use of certain terms; most might have understood I was referring to a "radial" circuit (the one from a spur) and a not so "radial" circuit - the one used for light bulbs...
If we were all experts on the matter we might be using the correct terms and formulate these questions more appropriately - if that was the case (if we were all as experts) then perhaps there wouldn't be any need for a forum.... :rolleyes:
let go BAN...relax.

Despite my inappropriate use of certain terms; most might have understood I was referring to a "radial" circuit (the one from a spur)
That is not a radial circuit.

and a not so "radial" circuit - the one used for light bulbs...
That is a radial circuit - why do you persist in thinking otherwise?

If we were all experts on the matter we might be using the correct terms and formulate these questions more appropriately
Being an expert isn't necessary.

Not being confused, vague, inaccurate and not fiddling with electrics when you have a woolly and imperfect understanding are.

Despite my inappropriate use of certain terms; most might have understood I was referring to a "radial" circuit (the one from a spur)
That is not a radial circuit.

and a not so "radial" circuit - the one used for light bulbs...
That is a radial circuit - why do you persist in thinking otherwise?

If we were all experts on the matter we might be using the correct terms and formulate these questions more appropriately
Being an expert isn't necessary.

Not being confused, vague, inaccurate and not fiddling with electrics when you have a woolly and imperfect understanding are.

wow...BAS, it took you so long to reply I worried if you were still around - still nothing useful in your messages (as usual).

Nothing you actually have the mental capacity to understand, you mean (as usual).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back