using a hand plane - any tips

M

marsaday

i tried using a hand plane yesterday on a door i need to shave down.

i have never used one before and have learnt:

the little wheel moves the blade out and inwards.

you have to keep the pressure on the wood when you push otherwise you get little cuts. a think a sweeping stroke is what you should aim for.

am i doing this correctly? and is it normal to have to sand afterwards?

also i tried planing a bit of painted door casing and reckon this is a no no. the blade afterwards was very blunt.

can the blade be sharpened on a knife sharpening stone for the kitchen. it is a long, thin, column like piece of stone?

thanks for any input on how i should go about using a plane.

Sponsored Links
The blade should be sharpened using an oil stone wider than the plane blade being sharpened, synthetic stones are usually double sided a course and a smooth side, aluminimum oxide is the most common.
Start withe the course stone, using 3 in 1 oil, then a final honing with the smooth side, the angle is fairly critical.
when adjusting the blade, it's important not to have it protruding too far, it should be parallel to the base of the plane and be clamped firmly.
If the blade is sharp shavings should come off in a thin curl, always plane with the grain and never against.
A correctly adjusted sharp wood plane is a pleasure to use, and should be treated carefully, never place the plane down on a hard surface, lay it on it's side to protect the blade.

Wotan

as wotan says,and funnily enough always place an index finger down the side of the plane this way it keeps it steady. ;)

Sponsored Links
You need a lesson from David Charlesworth. ;) If there is another word for perfectionism that man should have it in his middle name!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back