Electric Plane Recommendation for DIY novice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend me an Electric Plane?

We've just had carpets fitted, meaning 4 doors are going to need planing so they open/close ok.

I have an old stanley hand plane, though last time I used it it didn't work too well (perhaps needs a new blade / sharpening????)

As I'm short on time at the moment, I want to make this job as easy as possible, and so figured I'd need an electric plane.

It'll only get used on the occasional door I expect, so doesn't need to be all singing/all dancing.

Is an electric one going to make my life any easier?

Can anyone recommend anything?

Should I sharpen/replace the existing hand plane blade, and go with that?

Sponsored Links
Join me and pretty much ever other person and get a bosch green pho xxx

Replace xxx with various numbers depedning on age. I very rarely see other ones on sites or anywhere else.

Replace xxx with various numbers depedning on age. I very rarely see other ones on sites or anywhere else.

I have never seen a Bosch planer on sites, only Makita.
I have been using a Bosch planer today (Blue one) hired in for some rough fencing work (it was a nice planner)
I use a Festool planer, but didn't want to use it on a fence :D

John...

Sponsored Links
Hire one instead..

john..

Or buy a second hand one on e-bay , do the job and sell it on again.
Seriously though if it's for very occasional use consider a second hand one. Pretty much any type will do what you require.

Neth I've recently been using a bosch planer, blue 110volt and having a single blade although I forget the model number. It's ok but found myself with the planer in one hand and a thin stick in the other because it blocks up something rotten every few passes :rolleyes:

fair enough i don't think i would use a festool on a fence. But all i ever see are the bosch green ones?? maybe i live a sheltered life.

Any cheap plane will do if you're going to use it just a few times. I noticed an old Wolf 8657 on ebay at the moment. It's classic quality japan makita.

You can't beat a hand plane really. If you must get an electric one then Titan are really good for the money.

If you have never used an electric planer, I'd suggest you go and buy some cheap wood and practise. Also, set the planer depth to it's minimum. It's dead easy to destroy a door with an electric planer.

Yes I have done this, fortunately it was a cheap bedroom door :oops:

I have used several planers but keep going back to my little green Bosch.

The reason being that is is light, small but more important than anything else, it is wieldy. You need to have total hand control when using an electric plane. Anything large, heavy and unbalanced will wreck your workpiece in seconds!

I had a problem with my pretend red hardwood front door sticking when damp.

I needed a quick fix before the nuisence mad neighbour came out.

Seeing one in B&Q for £19.99 I bought it and was amazed by how easy it was to use.

I completed the skimming of the side in about four minutes! Setting tom 0.5 mm per pass.

Tony

I have an old stanley hand plane, though last time I used it it didn't work too well (perhaps needs a new blade / sharpening????)
Even as an avid power tool user (of necessity I "butcher" wood for a living.....) I still find uses for the old hand plane(s). Biggest problem is that most amateur woodworkers simply don't know how to sharpen one. If you want to learn Google "Scary sharp"

As I'm short on time at the moment, I want to make this job as easy as possible, and so figured I'd need an electric plane.

It'll only get used on the occasional door I expect, so doesn't need to be all singing/all dancing.

Is an electric one going to make my life any easier?
Yes and no. As others have said an electric plane can totally booger-up a door in next to no time - it takes a lot longer with a hand plane...... Main thing is to set the plane to take a very fine cut and to apply pressure on the nose of the plane at the start of the cut transferring the pressure to the main body of the plane during the cut so that the nose doesn't droop as it leaves the work. Tha same applies whether or not you are using a hand or an electric plane

If you really want to buy an electric plane might I also recommend the little green Bosches? I used one quite recently and was impressed at how good it was for a DIY tool - and I normally use a hugely over-priced Festool for most of my work

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back