Using a radios USB charging socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My new DAB radio has a USB charging socket but did not come with a USB lead. Can I buy a USB cable which has 2 male ends and use that to power the radio by plugging one end into a USB wall socket and other into the radios charging USB socket ? I don't really understand what they mean by charging USB socket, charge what, it doesn't have a battery in it. The manual is very basic and does not mention that, the radio came with a removable mains lead. Many thanks for any answers.

Sponsored Links
It's to charge other electronic and electrical 'toys'. A USB Charging socket only has the 5v power pins fitted/connected. You will not be able to connect something like a iPod for playback from that, only to charge it up.

Sponsored Links
Details of the Radio, I have touches which can power other things, and be charged with USB, if it needs a male end one would assume an output, likely for extra speakers, but to assume is not really what should be done, most items come with instructions, what do they say.

A male to male USB cable is not permitted by the USB Specification, and is a good way to destroy your electrical equipment.
(Referring only to type-A and type B of course)

Probably more accurate to say a type-A to type-A (male or female at each end) or a type-B to type-B (male or female at each end) is not permitted.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your help. Just wanted.to.make sure , should have twigged it when looking at the USB wall socket with it's 5.0v printed on.it. The manual.was scant and it's now obvious the USB outlet is for charging phones etc, cheers to all.

My new DAB radio has a USB charging socket but did not come with a USB lead. Can I buy a USB cable which has 2 male ends and use that to power the radio by plugging one end into a USB wall socket and other into the radios charging USB socket ?
You'll damage the radio by doing that.
If its a radio of a good brand then nothing much will happen but if it's a cheap one that has been purchased on a Sunday afternoon then it might ghet damaged.

Thanks Jurassic for the info, £110 so its an alright one. sorted now thanks will of course use the proper mains lead.

and it's now obvious the USB outlet is for charging phones etc, cheers to all.

The USB ( Universal Serial Bus ) specification was to create a generic hardware method of passing data between computers and peripherals without the need to have various sockets on the equipment. It included the function of passing power to the peripheral's interface circuits.

It was never intended to be a way to power the entire peripheral or to charge batteries in devices. But manufacturers corrupted the use of the USB port.

A male to male USB cable is not permitted by the USB Specification, and is a good way to destroy your electrical equipment.
(Referring only to type-A and type B of course)

Probably more accurate to say a type-A to type-A (male or female at each end) or a type-B to type-B (male or female at each end) is not permitted.
There are some so you can connect things like cameras to phones.

As I said the Universal Serial Bus ( Serial Data ) has been corrupted by several manufacturers. The EU and Governments has taken advantage. of this mis-use. Charging a battery is not a serial data function.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back