Shaver Socket with USB Charging points?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So many would likley have seen you can buy shaver sockets that include built in USB charging sockets.

Question is, when such a shaver socket is certified to EN 61558, does that certification apply to the whole unit with USB sockets (and thus suitable for use in zone 2 in a bathroom) or only the traditional 2 prong shaver part of the unit?

This item for example: https://www.mlaccessories.co.uk/products/4679717/datasheet.html

Regards:Elliott.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are people so welded to their phones these days that they need to have it when they are shaving!!!???

Are people so welded to their phones these days that they need to have it when they are shaving!!!???
I have to say that was also my first reaction, but ...

...I then remembered that there are now a lot of 'USB toothbrushes' (and/or toothbrushes with USB chargers), and also USB electric shavers (and/or shavers with USB chargers).

Kind Regards, John

Oh Dear. We do live in a USB world nowadays don`t we?
The thing about a bathroom shaver socket as opposed to a non bathroom shave socket (in reality plugging in a 13A plug type adaptor to shaver socket, into any normal 13A normal socket is the important thing - an isolating transformer thereby making no conductor relative to earth voltage (neither the same polarity nor the opposite polarity, this ensures the only shock possible path is between the two poles and not from any pole to earth. To maintain that surety we may only use one appliance at any one time.

Sponsored Links
Oh Dear. We do live in a USB world nowadays don`t we?
Indeed. "New fangles" are everywhere :)
The thing about a bathroom shaver socket as opposed to a non bathroom shave socket (in reality plugging in a 13A plug type adaptor to shaver socket, into any normal 13A normal socket is the important thing - an isolating transformer thereby making no conductor relative to earth voltage (neither the same polarity nor the opposite polarity, this ensures the only shock possible path is between the two poles and not from any pole to earth. To maintain that surety we may only use one appliance at any one time.
All true. However, one would hope )but can't be certain) that when there are USB outlets, they will be supplied from the 'floating' output of the isolating transformer, and hence nothing about the USB output would be ear-referenced,m even if the USB module developed an LV-ELV fault, wouldn't one?

Kind Regards, John

Im thinking a bathroom shaver socket having a usb and a two pronged shaver socket ast the same time - 2 or more outlets driven by the isolating transformer. maybe i got it wrong cos im thinking more like standard 13A sockets with a usb as well. if there is only one of any outlet then yes ok. i never seen a usb bathroom shave socket so i probably do not know what im talking about

Im thinking a bathroom shaver socket having a usb and a two pronged shaver socket ast the same time - 2 or more outlets driven by the isolating transformer. maybe i got it wrong cos im thinking more like standard 13A sockets with a usb as well. if there is only one of any outlet then yes ok. i never seen a usb bathroom shave socket so i probably do not know what im talking about
Yes, I think there is a theoretical issue if two things (with simultaneously touchable conductive parts) are fed from the same isolated ('floating)) supply, but I think (maybe wrongly?) that a hazard can only arise if, due to simultaneous faults, the touchable parts of the two develop faults to opposite sides of the floating supply ... which sounds to me like a 'fairly improbable' state of affairs!

...or are there perhaps other possible scenarios I am overlooking?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back