Using a structural part of the roof to hang a new floor

M

marsaday

can i hang a new floor off a kingbeam joist sitting in the attic. this triangle structure holds up the roof in the centre.

the 9x2 joist sits on the spine wall of the house and is tied into the frone and back walls. This spine wall is about 65% the length of the house. the final 35% is a span.

View media item 18085

Sponsored Links
i do have a SE on the job working some calcs for me, but i just wondered if anyone has come across this sort of thing before.

i think it would be pretty straight forward to uprate the joist using metal plates (flitch) or bolting another joist onto it.

if we can use this joist it makes life a lot easier as we can span the width of the house (3,8m and 4.2m) as opposed to the length which is longer (5.2m and 3.5m).

i have been told by the SE that i will need to bolt a C beam either side of the joist, add in a timber bearer and then hang joist hangers off this.

does this sound ok? just wanted a few other opinions if possible.

one question though. does this C beam either side need to go into the brick work where the joist does at either end, or is it just bolted to it ?

Sponsored Links
Sounds good. Remove bricks around the timber to make space for inserting the channel. Then make good afterwards with bits of cut brick and mortar.
You could also bolt the end of the beam to the wall with a heavy duty bracket either side and a couple of M20 bolts through the beam 'sandwich'

Bracket could possibly be made from offcuts of the steel section. Engi will have to advise here though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back