Using broadband arond the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a laptop and want to use broadband in other rooms. Can anyone advise me on what I need in order to use a radio link? I have some PCMCIA sockets on my laptop and a cable modem.

Sponsored Links
you want a "radio router" (thats not its actual name), get one from where ever, maplin, pc world, local stockist

Hi

You will need a wireless network adaptor for your laptop and a wireless access point which connects to your cable modem.

Try this link which has diagrams and tutorials.

here

Regards

Ig

PCworld have a good deal on at the moment for a Wi-Fi kit that includes a wireless access point and a USB Wi-Fi adaptor for non-Wi-Fi laptops.

Incidently, how old is the laptop? If it is a Centrino based one, then you will only need an access point as it has Wi-Fi built into it.

Sponsored Links
What connections does the cable modem have? I ask because some have a USB connection, some have an ethernet connection and some have both.

If your cable modem has ethernet (which might be labelled as RJ-45, 10/100 or LAN), then it is easy to connect it to a wireless access point.

If you have USB, then I am not sure if it is so simple. I believe there are USB routers and access points out there but I am not certain.

Buy the fastest standard of wireless kit you can get within your budget. You won't see any difference in the speed at which you can access the internet, however you may decide later on that you want to use your wireless network for other tasks as well. Shifting huge files about is less painful with a faster connection.

FWL_Engineer said:
PCworld have a good deal on at the moment

The PC-sheds can come up with nice surprises from time to time, I occasionally buy DVD-Rs at PCW when they have specials on.

FWL_Engineer said:
PCworld have a good deal on at the moment

The PC-sheds can come up with nice surprises from time to time, I occasionally buy DVD-Rs at PCW when they have specials on.

If you have USB, then I am not sure if it is so simple. I believe there are USB routers and access points out there but I am not certain.

Yes there are. Also if you are running Windows Me, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Mac OS X or Mandrake Linux 8.x or later on your computer, it is very easy to set up your main computer as an internet router. I can tell you how to do this with Windows Me, 2000 or Mandrake Linux, but you're on your own with any other OS, I only know it can be done in XP and Mac OS x...

If you want details, ask me.

And suddenly the shopkeeper appeared... :D

Couple of questions...?

Do you currently have broadband?
If yes: Are you cable or ADSL?
Also, do you wish to share this broadband connection with a desktop?

If ADSL, then I would recommend something like this.
P0059013_C0000039_P0000000.jpg

It combines:
Modem
Router
Firewall
And even a PC card thrown in!

And it's 3Com, which is nice! :D

click me!!!

It may also be worth looking here... http://www.dabs.com/uk

It's a PCMCIA ethernet adapter.
Thanks for all the help.

Well that makes your life a heck of a lot easier. You will have no problems finding a router or wireless access point to connect to your cable modem.

This may be relevant and could save you about £100. We have two computers in the house and have just installed a broadband modem on one of them. Problem is I have to borrow the modem off my son whenever I want to use the Internet. Everyone I asked about how to resolve this said I would need to buy a router and network cards and cable etc. I did not see this as solution since it would mean one computer would have to be permanently on. (Or I would need to barge into my son's room at 7am to turn on his pc.) So I took the chance and bought a second adsl modem (£20 on ebay) and hey presto it works fine. We cant both be on the Internet at the same time but this is not a problem since we rarely need to do this. Do I qualify for a medal?

That may be of use to someone Doris, but the original post was April and the poster hasn't been heard from since October!

Sponsored Links
Back