How can I get wireless on Virgin? Please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently get my broadband service through virgin using a Thomson Speedtouch 330 modem?(I think its the modem) which connects from the phone line to my laptop usb port. I want to go wireless to connect my laptop to the internet and get my xbox 360 live.
Can anyone please advise me on what router i would need to purchase?
I would like one that is easy to set up to my current broadband and is also reasonably priced.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
My recommendation would be the Netgear DG834G Simple to set up fairly cheap. Does what it says on the tin. This would replace the Speedtouch modem. You can connect either wirelessly or vie one of the 4 network ports.

Thanks Mark. I actually ordered one of those models from ebay last night.

I think that virgin is the best BB provider. I have only had 1 problem in 6 years and that was sorted next day (modem stopped working).

How did you get on setting up your wireless router?

Sponsored Links
I think that virgin is the best BB provider. I have only had 1 problem in 6 years and that was sorted next day (modem stopped working).

How did you get on setting up your wireless router?

Wow fair play, I have been with Virgin 10 years and I'd had loads of problems..slow speeds being the most obvious one.

My current one is that even after 5 tech phone calls each ending with "You will see in 24 hours your problem is resolved" a complete failure to set up an additional email address -still, it's only been since October.

I'm now so despondent that I simply cannot bother to sort out my wifes email so she goes without..

Cheers

Richard

What else do you expect from a company run by Branson. The man is a charlatan.

Take his Virgin credit card, I had on at 16.9% APR, they wrote to me stating that it was going up to 29.9%.

What a shiester :rolleyes:

Did you get your wireless router for your Virgin Broadband?

I'm just curious because it looks like you have bought and ADSL router and I seemd to remember you'll need a cable one if the broadband is coming in through Virgin cable. I'm sure I got and ADSL one free off someone and I couldn't get it to work.

Let us know. Oh and Richard, if you've had nothing but problems with Virgin internet for 10 years why you still with them?????? lol

Sharif

Of course, he hasn't specifically said he is on cable - then again, the fact he is currently getting it via a Speedtouch frog
sounds to me as if he is on ADSL and that the new modem router he's bought should do the trick ;)

Homer

Virgin problematic for me too. They have so many departments all over the place that the left hand doesn't know what the right one is doing, that's what happens when you merge about 6 telecoms companies into one!

Interestingly, an engineer of theirs once told me I was better off with Sky, then he mentioned a Dbox which picks up all the channels for free or something. Anyone heard of these?

The tiscali bundle looks good: 8mb BB, phone and TV for £25/month. Free wireless router too, and a PVR box for an extra £60 ish.

I had their BB a few years ago and had no probs. Might go back to 'em.

He's currently using a Thomson Speedtouch 330 - that's an ADSL modem, so he's got a regular broadband connection via the phone line. Cable broadband has a cable, not a phone line as mentioned. So, the router specified by Mark will be correct. ;)

What else do you expect from a company run by Branson. The man is a charlatan.

Take his Virgin credit card, I had on at 16.9% APR, they wrote to me stating that it was going up to 29.9%.

What a shiester :rolleyes:

Actually Branson has nothing to do with this company. However I totally agree with your sentiment...

Cheers

Richard

Oh and Richard, if you've had nothing but problems with Virgin internet for 10 years why you still with them?????? lol

Sharif

I said I had had loads of problems which is not that same as nothing but problems..
Also as I'm now on a new contract -Virgin media from Virgin net I'm tied in somewhat..

Cheers

Richard

Sponsored Links
Back