xbox 360 connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am being pestered by my kids to hook up their xbox 360 to the internet. I have a broadband connection and several PCs connected via a wireless moden/router. Can I connect the xbox to one of these pcs by wire (usb?) and then connect to the internet uning the pc's wirleless card. OS is xp. I am trying to avoid buying anything more for that bl**dy box!!

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure you need to connect it to the router. I know this after trying to connect the PS3 to the cable modem using an ethernet hub. :oops: I'm sure some helpful chap will be along soon to confirm or correct my wine fueled drivel.

Xbox 360 Connectivity Wizard
For a quick guide run the above wizard - it's pretty good as showing you what is needed and how to set it up.

Reading this may also explain it a bit better Router Connection

I'm on BT Broadband and have a cheap Voyager 2091 wireless modem/router I got off EBay for £15 hooked up straight into the XBox via the ethernet cable that comes with the XBox.

Setting it up should be pretty straightforward if you have your modem close the XBox - if not, you'll probably have to buy the wireless adaptor addon for the 360. [not cheap at about £45-£50]

Much cheaper if the modem is nearby!!

Sponsored Links
You should be able to connect your 360 to the router by means of an Ethernet cable. That is all you need. You would only use the wireless card in the pc to connect to the xbox if you had a wireless adapter in the back of the xbox. Wireless adapters are £60 so a cable connection with ethernet is far cheaper. Your 360 should have an ethernet cable supplied with it in the packaging. If it's not long enough you can buy a 20 metre one for example for about a fiver from a local computer supplies shop. Don't go to dixons though cos they charge about £25 quid !!!!! I use a wireless adapter on the 360 and a wireless pc card to connect to the live service. My brother uses an ethernet cable connected directly to the router instead. he's tight you see and won't spend £60 on a wireless adapter !! if you need any more advice please don't hesitate to give us a shout ! :LOL:

Back