Using broadband arond the house

Sponsored Links
Any one is more than welcome to do as i do, in fact i would welcome it.

I find it annoying that people do not read first and just post away. The "favorite" is where the origonal post is over a year old, and it was the only post made by that poster and some joker says "how did you solve / fix it" expecting a reply

Doris said:
This may be relevant and could save you about £100. We have two computers in the house and have just installed a broadband modem on one of them. Problem is I have to borrow the modem off my son whenever I want to use the Internet. Everyone I asked about how to resolve this said I would need to buy a router and network cards and cable etc. I did not see this as solution since it would mean one computer would have to be permanently on. (Or I would need to barge into my son's room at 7am to turn on his pc.) So I took the chance and bought a second adsl modem (£20 on ebay) and hey presto it works fine. We cant both be on the Internet at the same time but this is not a problem since we rarely need to do this. Do I qualify for a medal?
Sadly Doris No.
Firstly, using a combined router/switch allows one or more pooters to connect to the internet indepedently of each other.

This also means that the internet connection can be shared.

This will allow you to share files with each other and share devices like printers.

Finally (as just mentioned) this thread is old... So absolutely no prizes for you. So go and sort your network out!!!

We'll be pleased to help! :)

Sponsored Links
Doris - with a router in place there's no need to have any of the PCs permanently switched on as they connect independently via the router. Most of them have four ports on the back for wired connections and some have wireless as well. I'd recommend Netgear any time, and get one with the ADSL modem built-in as it will be much simpler to set up. Netgear DG834G or GT are well worth a look and www.ebuyer.com is a good place to start.

Back