Using central heating whilst hot water pipes isolated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - hope someone can help with a query.

Came back from holiday yesterday to find a burst pipe leaking down the back of the kitchen extension. Emergency plumber diagnosed problem as being hot water pipe to kitchen - he fitted an isolation valve to prevent water entering the hot water cylinder from the tank above - fixed the problem and we have working cold water but obviously no hot water (thank god for electric shower!).

My question is - is it safe to turn on the central heating? We only have a heating+water or water only option, so I'm worried that turning it on will cause some problem with the hot water cylinder as the heating will be on but no water will be in there. We have a Baxi back boiler system. Plumbing knowledge not great so I may have misunderstood some of how it works!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Providing he has not drained the hot water cylinder it will be OK to use the central heating

I cannot say for sure but intuitively it should not affect the hot water cylinder if there is no water in there to heat. After all, all that is in there is just a loop of copper pipe which is the same as the rest of your central heating circuit.

I cannot say for sure but intuitively it should not affect the hot water cylinder if there is no water in there to heat. After all, all that is in there is just a loop of copper pipe which is the same as the rest of your central heating circuit.

Ahemm, It could be a Primatic cylinder. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back