Using decking boards instead of gravel boards???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had edged the side of our lawn a few years back when the soil was put down with boulders from around the garden (we're talking 28 metres)...
An absolute bu**er to strim the edges, and now the border(3m) around the house is getting gravel put around it I want a nicer interface between grass/gravel. So today I lined it out and removed the minimum amount of soil/grass(only really 100mm thick max) and plan to put in a timber edging......

So- gravel boards will cost me £51 from wickes to do the length. 150mm high by 19mm thick.

By comparison, 6 x 4.8m deck boards would do the length, and a more user friendly 140mm high and 28mm thick...that's 50% thicker... for about £59

I think I should go for the decking, would be far more robust structurally but is the pressure treatment they get less than the gravel boards? Ie would they rot quicker than gravel boards?(Maybe gravel boards are thinner to get the tanalith all the way through? Dunno?)

Can anyone advise before I hit Wickes tomorrow sometime? :)

Sponsored Links
Obviously, and cost 3 times as much and the ones from wickes are 10 times thicker, eating into the gravelled area, never mind the weight of 15 of them in my wee van. Yes I know they'd outlive me etc but I was hoping for advice on how gravel boards and decking in permanent ground contact compare?
Pity nobody has old skool REAL creosote saturated sleepers.....they'd be ideal!!!8)

Thanks for your advice though, don't mean to be a fud by dismissing your suggestions...... ;)

Just had a look on Wickes site again- confusion.....are these timbers coated in concrete or something?
(I'm a stonemason by trade if this is the best thing on offer I'll buy a pallet of blocks and do it with them!)

Sponsored Links
Decking boards do seem to be a simple and cheap solution to the problem. They can easily be replaced in a few years time if necessary, but will last even longer if suspended on the the likes of two or three paving blocks to keep the decking of the soil.

Have you fitted the boards yet? If not I would think about giving them a lick of creosote. :)

Oh and you should try some of the local sawmills, they can be a lot cheaper than wickes for timber

I got all my decking and the joists from Russwood in Newtonmore last year. Don't think they do gravel boards and unfortunately my next nearest sawmill is BSW in Boat of Garten and they don't sell to the general public....!!!
I try and avoid the sheds for timber, wanted this down quick though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back