1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Using decking boards to clad a shed

Discussion in 'In the Garden' started by nedo, 29 Aug 2015.

1. nedo

nedo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Complete novices, hence what may seem like a no-brainer sort of question to the experienced.We are considering using decking boards to clad our shed - is there an issue with this? Have scoured the Internet for advice but the can only find info for Tongue and Groove and feather edge boards.
    Also, my husband is planning to fix them vertically, rather than horizontally; is there a reason timber tends to be fixed horizontally?

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Crystalclear

Crystalclear

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Oooo, nice. Any plans on coating it with colour?

Vertical is perfect in any country with more rain than sun; water runs down, and not into the wood; the rain would have to push it in to make a difference.

I've chosen to build a from wall fence using decking; not only is the wood 'thicker' than it's rival planed wood, but the look is beautiful. The guy down the street asked 132 questions and did the same. :) it's been 4 yrs now, and it's looking as good as new.

4. Boards need to be laid horizontally & overlap so that water runs off them rather than between them hence the reason for using T&G or shiplap.

The reason that sheds (and cladding in general) runs horizontally is because it works!

5. So all the horizontal cladding, sheds, outhouses in all the world have got it wrong?!

6. big-all

big-all

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    all depends on construction method
    single skin then always horizontal to reduce the chance off penetration and driving rain or capillary action getting through
    vertical and overlap/txg can work but a good chance off penetration especially towards the bottom
    butted up planks are prone to shrink and expand allowing moisture and rain to penetrate especially in the summer when they shrink

Last edited: 30 Aug 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice

Nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Won't be doing it, but, fantastic idea to clad your shed, might put this one in my to do list, I like my shed to look good and am always staining it, this idea would save a few bob, a lot of time, and with just a quick wipe over would always look great.

8. John Newland

John Newland

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

9. John Newland

John Newland

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi there I've just cladded out my shed horizontally but not over lapped is this wrong
    I have put at least 3.4 coats of timber/fence stain on .can I leave or go back and over lap I plan to treat once a year must say it looks nice tho. Any info us welcome but no slagging as I'm a novice....

10. Sponsored Links
  11. What have you used for cladding?

12. John Newland

John Newland

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Decking I was told ok to use as my shed was on it's way out but frame was ok but a little warped I have straightened it up as best I can and gone over the top of shiplap used battons inside for screws to bite onto to make nice and strong ...well it seems that way please tell me it's ok....

13. If you've overclad the shiplap then I guess the shed will still be watertight in some form!

The problem with square edged boards butted together is that they will let water through especially as they dry out (assuming we have a summer)

14. John Newland

John Newland

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've only butted up but have enough wood left over to overlap by how much should I over lap or do I take a chance and leave as it's time consuming

15. To do it 'properly' you'd need to take all the boards off and start again - I'd leave it !

[​IMG]

16. John Newland

John Newland

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ok I'll take your advice thanks again..

17. Ian H

Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Which is the cheapest? I have a tatty log cabin that need freshening up.