Using decking boards to clad a shed

I don't know, but I am using decking boards for a sturdy fence (laid horizontally) and for the Bank Holiday weekend the budget range are 3 for the price of 2 at Wickes. They have two qualities and various lengths. The Value range are relatively light. http://www.wickes.co.uk/Products/Gardens/Decking/Timber-Deckboards/c/1000707

The grooves facing out look quite attractive. As I won't be walking on them I don't need the better range.

There is a delivery charge so it is worth buying plenty rather than having small deliveries. Doesn't matter if you collect.

The ones I put up last year have just shrunk in the dry weather and opened up noticeable gaps as they have no overlap. For a shed you can use tiler's felt behind, to keep the rain and wind out. You have to allow an expansion gap. You have to use a single screw or nail on each stud or post to avoid cracking, and preferably pre-drill. I treated mine before fixing for all-round coverage and have used coach screws with a large stainless washer under the hex head otherwise it sinks in. With a cordless drill/driver and a level it is quick work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back