Using defunct phone extension as a network cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several phone extensions from various rooms to the main master socket in my hall, where my router plugs in. I plan to disconnect these as they're not needed. However I could do with wired ethernet to my office and I'd rather not pull up floorboards, etc.

Since my router is sitting next to one end of the extension, which is already pre-wired to a socket in my office, I'd love to be able to use this as a network cable. But I can't figure out what adapters I might need. When I Google I get loads of adapters that look like they'd physically fit the cables but they don't appear to do what I want. RJ45 is used in many different ways, and there's issues regarding twisted-pairs - this is the limit of my knowledge to realise I don't know enough to understand what I need!

What I'm ideally after is to plug a network cable into my PC, and into the telephone socket in my office, via some sort of adapter presumably. And at the other end, I disconnect the phone cable from the 'junction box' and plug it into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router, again presumably via an adapter. My PC and router both think they're connected via Cat5 ethernet, but the transport is done over a phone cable (less than 10m length).

I'm aware there might be some signal degradation(?) but I don't need gigabit speeds here, the limiting factor of my internet connection is only ~30Mbps and realistically if I can achieve 10Mbps that'd be fine.

So can someone give me a brief overview of what's needed here?

Sponsored Links
IMG_1403.PNG
I use these for connecting cctv dvrs to the network ( with cat 5/6) very easy to use and may be worth a go on your BT cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back