using end grain preserver/wood protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Building a deck. As advised will use wood preserver/end grain preserver on cut ends etc BUT it takes many hours for this to dry. The manufacturers recommend applying 2 coats and waiting for the 1st to dry. I was wondering what people actually do? Surely when you cut a piece of wood you are intending to fix it immediately, not apply such products, wait for it to dry and apply second coat, wait for it to dry and then fix it etc etc. Does it do any harm to continue working/fixing what would be wet ends and only 1 coat (preserver wet) to dry timber?

Couldn't find a discussion or advice on this anywhere online

Sponsored Links
You could use a preserver which is organic-based (high in VOCs) rather than water-based, as these should dry out quicker. They will probably last longer too.

Any exposed cut ends can obviously be treated at a later stage and any that butt up against each-other should be fine with one coat I would have thought, particularly if the boards are of a good quality and have been properly pressure-treated.

Personally, I tend to give cut ends a generous coating as soon as they're cut and then re-apply a second just before they're used.

Jobs like this are always a balancing act between convenience (doing the job in a reasonable amount of time) and doing the job properly/by the book I guess :)

Any exposed cut ends can

Personally, I tend to give cut ends a generous coating as soon as they're cut and then re-apply a second just before they're used.

)

Thanks for the response. That was my idea personally as I cant think of any other sensible option. I doubt the second coat would have much value and the time between cutting and fixing/using is less than a minute at times.

I was thinking I may have been going mad and missing something obvious that everyone else would be doing. Thanks

with Cuprinol (the Green wood preserver is very good) you get the best results by dipping the ends in a tub of it.

Sponsored Links
In my (limited) experience of exterior woodwork projects, making trellises, woodlog fences, a gazebo and a smallish deck, I cut the timbers all to size first and treated them overnight before fixing them in place.

In my (limited) experience of exterior woodwork projects, making trellises, woodlog fences, a gazebo and a smallish deck, I cut the timbers all to size first and treated them overnight before fixing them in place.

I admire your approach to this, however I can not see myself doing this. I am working with various angles and until the main frame is secured I would not be confident of the exact sizes of other joists etc

Unless you are the slowest worker in the world, that is totally unworkable when building a deck. As said above good 32mm deck boards well treated will last pretty well anyway and the preserver is a good idea but one generous coat is plenty.

Unless you are the slowest worker in the world, that is totally unworkable when building a deck. As said above good 32mm deck boards well treated will last pretty well anyway and the preserver is a good idea but one generous coat is plenty.

and just to be clear - do you then when its wet of course (or do you wait till its dry!) fix it to dry joists (wet end joists to dry joists when fixing joists) - I assume that's common practice - just want to hear people saying that they dip it/apply with brush and the fix wet immediately - OR do most people wait til dry

I am a very slow worker, and I like to cut, trial-fit, then dip the ends in my tub of cuprinol before fixing.

I do cut a few, then dip a few, then leave (cut-end upwards) while it soaks in before I fix. Sometimes I have enough dipped at the end of the day to leave overnight to dry before fixing. It is a spirit preservative, not water based, so there is no problem with swelling or shrinking. You are supposed to let it dry fully before using glue or stain though.

Timbers in contact with the ground, or facing up so rain falls on them, I leave to soak for longer (per instructions on the tin).

Obviously I am not a pro so I can afford to take my time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back