alternaative to coach screws (need to countersing fixings)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm now building a deck (or planning for I should say) and would appreciate a few alternatives to using coach screws for connecting the joists (6x2). The reason I do not want to use coach screws is that a considerable part of the deck will require decking boards around the face of the joists (front and sides etc) as they are exposed and I want to ensure whatever I use to fix the joists together is able to be countersunk as to not effect the fixing of the boards to the face......or is there easy way to countersink coach screws?

2nd brief question (never built a deck before but reasonably competent DIYer) - when cutting timber I will use clear wood preserver on cut ends etc to protect BUT it takes many hours for this to dry. Does it do any harm to continue working/fixing what would be wet ends to dry timber?

Sponsored Links
you can use coach bolts and sink the heads slightly

You can also bore a wider hole for the head of a coach screw, preferably putting a large galvanised or stainless washer under the head. It will sink in a bit more when you tighten it. Make the hole wide enough for a socket spanner to get in.

Just found these - timber tight joist screws (available in various lengths but not thickness)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/timber-tite-joist-screw-6-5-x-145mm-pack-of-20/46014

Anyone used these or similar and if not do you think they are sufficient enough to secure and hold 6x2 decking joists to each other. 80% of the deck frame will be secured directly on to a concrete solid base which has been established for years. Only 20% of the deck joists will be bolted to posts concreted in to soil.

They are more than enough and my fixing of choice for deck frames and sleeper wall. the 4 inch ones will probably do you.

Oh and you need an impact driver to put them in and ordinary cordless will not be up to it. A corded sds is the machine of choice if you have lots to do.

Sponsored Links
They are more than enough and my fixing of choice for deck frames and sleeper wall. the 4 inch ones will probably do you.

Oh and you need an impact driver to put them in and ordinary cordless will not be up to it. A corded sds is the machine of choice if you have lots to do.

Good to hear they work well for you. I assumed I would need a little more power than a standard cordless. I'm glad I invested well (most of the time anyhow lol) in tools over the years

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back