Fixing joists to deck posts

Yea I'd use studding and cut it down. Really 2 x 10mm coach bolts or some studding will be more than adequate.

Or you could just use a couple of screws as has already been posted in this thread as the professional decking guys are telling you. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Only other thing I can think it to put the bolts into the post first, threads sticking out either way, and then bolt up with the assumption will will pull the head far enough in as to make it flush.

That said, I dont really like coach bolts into softwood, the larger the better and if you drill the hole out size for size (ie, 10mm drill for m10 bolt) its usally fine, but its always a bit hit and miss so to if the grip or spin.

*For ref, not a carpenter, decking ace, builder, tradesmen, although I do have a degree in mechanical engineering and experience in steelwork and bolted joints....

Daniel

OP I know you think there's a lot of weight to support, but don't forget there are a lot of posts too so each post doesn't carry all that much on its own, 3 5mm screws are probably as strong as than 1 12mm bolt and a lot cheaper and easier to redo if you mess up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back