raised deck concrete support posts

If you use the type of brackets I linked to then the posts are not below ground level. They are bolted to the bottom of the post and these are on top of your foundation. You cast a concrete pad foundation and sit the brackets on top, or the second one I linked to you cast It in place with the concrete haunch up at an angle to prevent the post end siting in water.

The type of concrete you will end up casting will not be waterproof.

Waterproof concrete is for retaining walls or swimming pool walls and the like and is packed with reinforcement. You will not achieve that in your garden.

Sponsored Links
Ok so I've currently dug 4 holes 1m deep for the base posts. Are you suggesting it will be better (and stronger) to just fill these in with concrete and then fix the timber posts to the top using what you suggest or a post shoe, rather than actually sinking the post into the ground?

I suppose this would eliminate the water & rotting issue, its just whether it will be a strong enough fixing to support the raised deck?

Yes but as its a raised deck I need the supports to be very strong. I just assumed that a post sunk 1m in concrete would be stronger than one bolted into a shoe on top but I suppose either way will be strong enough.

what would you suggest for the foundation? Jus fill it in with concrete? I was going to use postcrete originally due to water but should I be using a mix to provide extra strength? The photo shows how it currently looks with the holes.

Sponsored Links
What type of concrete mix would be best for the foundations for this?

Would ready mix be suitable (& strong enough) or should I be looking at mixing it myself?

the height its being raised above those holes is around 600-700mm, that's why I thought it necessary and am enquiring about the strength of the foundations etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back