Using flue outlet for prv discharge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Have seen this several times , wether or not there are any specific regs ?? But I don't care for it , in my view if the prv had a slight drip at any given time? it may not be noticeable possibility of bits of debris restricting the outlet ?? maybe / possibly ??

Are you sure that is a PRV pipe run?

Looks very much like the hot water outlet to me.

Yes agree with gasop.the second pipe along is hot water outlet.Just double checked the manufacturers instructions,going up next to the vertical flue

Sponsored Links
No its the prv outlet the boiler is on top floor the flue is straight through the pitch roof.

i have seen this before on boiler i moved for a friend and funny enough that was a ferroli :D
i didnt like it either and when i cut into it it was full of manky stale water where at some point it had discharged and the water couldnt get away.

it was full of manky stale water where at some point it had discharged and the water couldnt get away

Yeah.... and if the top part of the (vertical?) pipe got cold and froze, then there'd be an ice plug preventing any further discharge - and the boiler goes
BANG!

Don't do it!

Used to see it all the time,think it was swiftflow installs for some reason.

The only concern is freezing,the idea used to be that as it discharged under pressure(3bar give or take) then the vertical rise didn't really matter.
During service it was always advised to operate prv to ensure discharge then use the drain cock to release any water still in the pipe.

Not commonly seen any more but things and methods have changed.

Boiler is a Ferroli Modena 80e with the prv outlet rising. I read a post similar to this from a few years back
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=101266&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Has this type of practice been accepted yet or is it still a grey area subject to manufacturers instructions.

I cannot see any reference to this in MI

http://www.ferroli.co.uk/product_documentation/DOMESTIC_ARCHIVE/Modena_80_E_Manual.pdf

Never seen it and it is totally illegal...as you probably well know...how can the prv run into the air intake of a flue and be right!!? This must be a wind up mate

doesnt go into the air intake. :confused:

it looks to go through the ceiling next to the flue. :rolleyes:

doesnt go into the air intake.

it looks to go through the ceiling next to the flue.

Correct.

And unfortunately it is on third floor so impossible to see where it terminates!

i asked corgi a couple years ago with regards to this practice. I was told it i fine to have a verticle PRV providing there was a drainoff.

Not sure about it being so close to the flue tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back