Using keypad zones at panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm installing 2 keypads (Scantronic i-on KEY-KPZ01 if you're interested), both of which have 2 zones onboard.

I'd like to make use of these back in the panel itself, and read elsewhere on this forum to run 8 core and use the spare cores to send the zones back to the panel.

Would it be fine to twist and solder wires to zones within the panel box, or should I get a couple of those small alarm junction boxes and zip-tie them down inside?

Sponsored Links
Isn’t that defeating the point of the keypad zones ?
Depends on where the keypad is. If I have a keypad with zones spare and need to use zones somewhere else, I could bring them back to the panel for use elsewhere

If your able to run a cable from keypad to device then that is the best option

If your unable to do that, then using the keypad cable and joining at the panel can be done.

if you were upgrading a 6 zone hardwired panel, to an Elite 64W (to save money) and there is a hardwired keypad option, then this could get you out of a hole, but should be a last resort rather than a deliberate design.

Sponsored Links
If your able to run a cable from keypad to device then that is the best option

If your unable to do that, then using the keypad cable and joining at the panel can be done.

if you were upgrading a 6 zone hardwired panel, to an Elite 64W (to save money) and there is a hardwired keypad option, then this could get you out of a hole, but should be a last resort rather than a deliberate design.
Aight. Read somewhere else that if I were to wire a PIR directly to a keypad zone then I’d need to send aux power separately down cores on the keypad cable rather than draw from the bus - right?

Not strictly true.
what you can do isn’t the same as what you should do.

You have to consider the consequences are if say the cables get shorted for example, if power from pir comes from network you could blow the network fuse the alarm sound and you can’t silence using your code.

Not sure approaching this project in the right way,

1. Do things as they should be done
2. Do things that can be done if 1. Can’t be done but consider the consequences and choose the route of least consequence.

Not strictly true.
what you can do isn’t the same as what you should do.

You have to consider the consequences are if say the cables get shorted for example, if power from pir comes from network you could blow the network fuse the alarm sound and you can’t silence using your code.

Not sure approaching this project in the right way,

1. Do things as they should be done
2. Do things that can be done if 1. Can’t be done but consider the consequences and choose the route of least consequence.
Exactly, I strongly stand by doing things properly. On one hand I could power detectors off the control bus, since the same bus can also be used for expanders runnings tens of detectors. But on the other hand to minimise risk on a smaller house system, you might aswell send power from the panel’s detector aux for redundancy. I’ll have another look at it basically.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back