Using lower boiler set point and anti cycling - more or less efficient?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So other half is always cold and complaining radiators are always cold, because the house gets upto temperature and then can switch off for an hour until the thermostat kicks out back on. I do admit it does feel warmer when the rads are warm, probably because they are pretty close to us in the lounge.
So I had an idea, rather than turn up the temperature on the thermostat I've left it alone (at 17c), turned the boiler down to 55c and set anti cycling to 30 minutes. This means that when the boiler hits 58c it turns off for 15 minutes (measured with a stop watch lol), so the CH temperature drops to about 37c before the boiler comes back on. The advantage is that the radiators stay warm and we both feel warmer.
Not sure if this is more efficient, same or less than just seeing the boiler to 70c and letting it bring the house upto 20c and then turn off (this is what OH wanted, but it normally creeps to 21 then 22 etc because it "feels" cold)

Sponsored Links
It's all about comfort, the other consideration is that we males prefer it cooler, our better half's tend to get colder quicker and want it warmer.

So really you need to have the system set so everyone is happy I guess. You don't really want the boiler cycling because it has reached the set point, as that isn't efficient, you want it to modulate down until the space reaches the desired temp and then the stat shuts things down. Cycling on and off is less efficient due to the boiler normally heading to full power at start up, is the boiler range rated?

It's an 18hx boiler, although maximum output is configured at 10kw and it's fully modulated so typically only stays at that for the first 5 seconds before modulating down (to what I'm not sure)
When its bringing the house upto temperature it fires at most twice per hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back