Using Noggings in ceiling joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I live in a 40s bungalow and have just removed the front room ceiling as the old one was in a poor state.

14ft long 3" x 2" joists span the width of the room at 400mm intervals. Some are sagging and twisted a bit. Thus, I need to get the joists as level as possible before the new 6x3 plasterboard goes up.

My plasterer has suggested noggings on the worst offending joists. Any idea how far apart I should use them, (does it hurt to use loads?) what screws I should use, and how to screw them to the joists?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
this is an ideal situation for a ceiling binder.

it sits above the ceiling joists and at right angles to them.

offer a piece of say 7x2" up through the gap ensuring it will span from wall to wall, laying it across the topside of the ceiling joists and at 90 degrees to the joists.

pack the ends of the binder so that the walls take up the load.

screw each joist into the binder making sure you pull each one up tight to the binder.

Thanks for the advice

When screwing together what's best? 3 inch single threaded? with our without shank? And should I / should I not drill a pilot hole?

regards

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back