Using old cable colours

Sponsored Links
I once saw a house wired in singles, all purple of various ( appropriate ) cross sectional areas and yellow/green for the CPC. Each wire had a unique alpha-numeric identity with labels fitted at each end and a complete documented wiring plan using these identities had been created. Several rolls of more purple wire were in the garage.
Sounds like it was wired by a controls guy.

Generally I would say the former, although the warning notice in question is, in my view, just pointless and the latter - because the situation is so commonplace as to be neither unexpected nor a hazard.
I'm sure I've said this a good few times before, but I think the really daft aspect of the 'two colours' warning labels is that they are required to be written in language that would be essentially meaningless to almost everyone who 'needed to be warned', and only meaningful to those who did not 'need to be warned'!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I've said this a good few times before, but I think the really daft aspect of the 'two colours' warning labels is that they are required to be written in language that would be essentially meaningless to almost everyone who 'needed to be warned', and only meaningful to those who did not 'need to be warned'!

It's useful for the few DC panels we have at work - when faced with a situation where in the same panel some blues are 0v and others -48v.

It's useful for the few DC panels we have at work - when faced with a situation where in the same panel some blues are 0v and others -48v.
Fair enough - but, needless to say, I was thinking/talking (in this DIY forum) about AC circuits.

Mind you, even with DC the problem only really exists with earthed supplies. If I recall correctly, for unearthed ones, the change was from black/red to brown/grey - hence no possible ambiguity or confusion.

Kind Regards, John

Of course flex has been in harmonised colors since the 70s and most installations contain at least some flex. So most installations have had a mix of colour coding schemes since long before those stickers showed up.

Fair enough - but, needless to say, I was thinking/talking (in this DIY forum) about AC circuits.

Mind you, even with DC the problem only really exists with earthed supplies. If I recall correctly, for unearthed ones, the change was from black/red to brown/grey - hence no possible ambiguity or confusion.

Kind Regards, John

Yep, understood you meant AC. Yeah we reference our systems to 0v/earth so we've gone from blue/black to grey/blue. The same applies though, if you're in the panel you're likely to know what to watch out for. Easier said than done though, especially when it's 2AM as you have to do the work out of hours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back