Using Original Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use my original floorboards. What is the best way of filling in the gaps before sanding and what products????

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A bit more info would be helpful, we're not mind readers.
Wood type, T&G's - no T&G's, installing method (on joists, floating) etc?

Sorry, I want to use the original floorboards as the wooden floor in the living area. It is T & G as i have been told . Do I just sand them and then varnish , or is there any other processes i need to do .

Thanks

I want to use my original floorboards. What is the best way of filling in the gaps before sanding and what products????

Andy, if they are tongue and grooved boards it is extremely difficult to make good the gaps because the tongue in the boards will prevent you from filling the gap fully.
You could probably try your local diy shed for some filler but it will probably vibrate loose over time, depends on how good you want it to look.
Even if you do get away with this and sand and stain the boards, unless they are high grade red wood boards be prepared for slivers of wood breaking away and for dust and howling gales blowing up through the gaps.
Hell! what I am trying to say is rip up the old boards and lay new ones, it not a difficult job and it won't cost you much more.

Sponsored Links
Old timber was far better than todays timber.

If you can get them up without destroying them you can use floorboard clamps to tighten them right up.

Sand the floor boards removing all dirt etc. Then do a fine sanding and keep the dust. Mix this with Mix n fill or similar product until it is a paste. With a spatula paste into the joints, dont worry about mess. Allow it to dry and sand until smooth finish with no gaps!

Must be T&G floorboards for this to work otherwise filler will just fall down the cracks after time (due to moving).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back