Using primer for k rend render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I’m planning to Krend a wall soon. I’ve bought the base coat, top coat and SBR primer as advised by the local trade merchant. I’ve forgotten the advice he gave to me about when to apply the primer - he said something about not letting it dry as it goes like varnish?

Did he mean
- apply the primer to the base coat before the base coat dries? or
- apply the primer and then the top coat before the primer dries?

thoughts welcome for an enthusiastic DIYer not a plasterer

thanks

Sponsored Links
Apply the primer then base coat.
You don't need to prime the basecoat.

Last edited:
Sorry apply the primer to what?? Do you mean apply it to the base coat before putting the top coat on?

if so do I need to apply the topcoat before it dries?

Sponsored Links
Thank you - so just to be clear does the following look good as a plan
- wet the wall
- apply primer to wall
- apply base coat before primer fully dries
- leave to dry
- scrape
- apply top coat
- rough up to finish

sorry to labour the point. I want to be absolutely sure before I start!

The k-rend undercoat i use doesn't get scraped and we don't wet the wall before applying the primer.

Ok thank you. Is this everyone else’s experience also? Ie no need to wet the wall or scrape the base coat?

Base coat on - looks good. Rain stopped play so I need to wait a few days for it to dry out before top coat. K rend guide says give it 14 days to harden but I’ve seen videos of folk putting it on after 24 hrs. What’s your views pls?

Quick qn there’s a few dark patches on the base rend that aren’t drying out or disappearing. Is this an issue and do I need to do anything before moving into the topcoat phase?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back