Using Ronseal Woodland Trust colour over yacht varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The planks of wood on my summerhouse have been repaired by a carpenter who has applied a basecoat of oil-based yacht varnish.

I am planning to paint the summerhouse with Ronseal Woodland Trust colour stain. The usage instructions from the back of the tin are here... http://ronseal.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/tin/WT Colours_750_BoP.pdf

As this is water-based and the yacht varnish is oil-based I am concerned it won't stick. The instructions state that all coats of varnish must be removed and the Ronseal colour painted onto bare wood.

Is my only option to sand down the wood? The carpenter mentioned using a primer or undercoat but I'm not convinced this is going to be alright after reading the usage instructions.

What do you advise?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
it won't stick.

IMO yacht varnish is very troublesome, it needs constant sanding and recoating. The water-based stains are far easier to apply and maintain.

If you can be bothered, strip it off. Otherwise, leave it. In 20 years or so it will all have fallen off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back