using "size" on plaster - any advice please?

Sponsored Links
Wallpaper :?: Traditional = Glue size.. To lower the porosity of the plaster, so wallpaper can have a certain ammount of slide. Not to be confused with sealing the plaster to make it glossy!!!! NOT FOR EMULSION FINISH.

Or you can use diluted paste, P.V.A. Or a special acrylic primer such as zinnsser123, etc etc..

Presume your wallpapering ;)

no, I am going to be painting the walls but am having to take them back to plaster due to old peeling paint. Just not sure exactly what "size" is other than you paint it on your wall before putting emulsion on (at least that is what my dad has suggested!)

Sponsored Links
(size is glue. it's water soluble. If you put paint over the top, the water in the paint will soften it and you will get poor adhesion.)

If painting walls, you want to get all old wallpaper paste off them by washing and scraping, and apply a mist cost of emulsion thinned with water, this will soak into the surface so that the finish coats grip well. You should find instructions for this on the paint tin.

Once a wall has been well-painted and is sound, then IMO you don't need to size it if and when you do wallpaper it, and the surface is good for papering onto.

Pro decorators will tell you there is a lot more to it than that...

rightfirsttime said:
no, I am going to be painting the walls but am having to take them back to plaster due to old peeling paint. Just not sure exactly what "size" is other than you paint it on your wall before putting emulsion on (at least that is what my dad has suggested!)

I get the impression your talking about sealing the plaster with a miscoat.
Normally a 'size' is for papering walls and ceilings.

On new bare plaster, the best way to seal it, is to use a watered down matt emulsion, along the lines of supermatt.
Then you would apply your second coat of emulsion, again slightly water it down, just so it goes on nice and smooth.
Then you can apply your next coat as normal.

But whatever you do, DONT use PVA on bare plastered walls if you are going to paint them, just go down the miscoat route, and OP will say the same.

If your wall papering then follow Confindents advice. :D

:eek: thank you all for your wonderful help - I shall be using watered down emulsion to seal/prime the walls as suggested. Problem solved at last - many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back