Using UK devices on Guatemala power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm trying to use a number of devices I bought in the UK on a Guatemala power source. Actually I am succeeding but I'm wondering how safe it is. All my devices will accept AC power in the form of (110 - 240V, 50/60Hz). Guatemala power is 120V/60Hz so it seems all I need to do is change the kettle lead from the power supply from a 3 pin UK to a 3 pin US style one. Some of my leads/adapters only have 2 pins so I'm guessing that means there is no earthing going on.. is that safe? Also, these US/Guatemala leads have no fuse in them.. I understand UK leads have fuses due to the higher power rating? I'm just hoping not to kill myself or set the house on fire. Any tips welcome,

cheers, kernel.

Sponsored Links
Your appliances are only as safe as the installation allows, so if you're using something that must be earthed then you need to verify that it is indeed earthed.

If you suspect that you're using something heavy duty, in terms of current draw that the installation can't support, then it would be best to not use it.

When in Guatemala....

Cheers softus, everything seems pretty safe and sturdy. I'm only using laptops, sound cards and external hard drives at the moment but I think they want earthing really. Thanks, kernel.

Cheers softus, everything seems pretty safe and sturdy. I'm only using laptops, sound cards and external hard drives at the moment but I think they want earthing really. Thanks, kernel.
If the only things you're using are insulated by a transformer in a plastic case, then you have a low risk situation in terms of earthing.

Sponsored Links
Right, that's is all I'm using at the moment. Thanks..

Back