using wall tiles on the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found some wall tiles that I also want use on the floor, is this OK?

They are 9mm ceramic and its a bathroom so wear will be light

Sponsored Links
Ceramic wall tiles do not have the strength of floor tiles, you only have to have the smallest of voids underneath the tile and it will almost definately break.

Nowadays floor tiles are soo cheap I would consider buying actual floor tiles and not risking tiling a floor and then ripping it all up again when it fails.

The wall tile you have is likely to offer no slip resistance either, not ideal in a wet area.

Some wall tiles can be used on floors but I agree with Shifty - I wouldn't risk it. The manufacturers will label them as wall tiles for a reason, unless they say 'suitable for walls and floors' then it would be a bit of a risk underfoot...

Sponsored Links
Some wall tiles can be used on floors but I agree with Shifty - I wouldn't risk it. The manufacturers will label them as wall tiles for a reason, unless they say 'suitable for walls and floors' then it would be a bit of a risk underfoot...

many thanks, I have replaced them now with floor tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back