Utility extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to put an extractor in my utility room at some point, as building inspector wants one in there as it’s a new extension.
Any idea if I can fit a pull cord one, and have it plugged into a socket with a 3a plug fuse (like some people fit hood extractors) to save having a separate fan isolator switch etc?

Sponsored Links
Don’t see why not. But you don’t need a fan isolator switch etc anyway. You could wire it directly into the lighting circuit.

I assumed (possibly wrongly) that it needed a timer overrun, and therefore a perm live so a fan isolator.

Sponsored Links
Yep, it has a window. They’ve still said I need the fan as it’s got a sink and washer dryer etc. Doubt I’ll persuade them otherwise but could try.

Does a fan with timer over run not need a means of isolating then if it’s fixed wiring?
No, but it might be a good idea.

The Building Regulations merely state:

upload_2020-4-2_22-13-29.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-2_22-14-11.png
    upload_2020-4-2_22-14-11.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 228
Don’t see why not. But you don’t need a fan isolator switch etc anyway. You could wire it directly into the lighting circuit.

^^^ This is what I would have gone for. Try to run some '3 core & earth' from the lighting circuit to an isolator butted up against the ceiling and power your fan from that.

I assumed (possibly wrongly) that it needed a timer overrun, and therefore a perm live so a fan isolator.

It's worth asking them, but that just dictates where you get your supply from. Again, if you can come from the light fitting then you have access to a switch Live and hopefully also permanent Live & Neutral.

Does a fan with timer over run not need a means of isolating then if it’s fixed wiring? But yeah, it’s not really key to my original question

Yes. Both timed and standard (non timed) fans need and means of isolating from the supply for maintenance. In fact a timed fan would need a Double Pole isolator as it effectively has two supply's.

Thanks. Agree lighting circuit best but it’s been done with no perm live at the lights, only at the switch which is miles away on a different wall. So my easiest option is to just plug in a flex from the fan to a 13a socket or run from Socket circuit (nearby) to a FCU to the fan I reckon.

Is it possible to get under the floor above and run a feed from a light in another room where there may be a Live & Neutral?

Both timed and standard (non timed) fans need a means of isolating from the supply for maintenance. In fact a timed fan would need a double pole isolator as it effectively has two supply's.

We have been here before. The regs don’t require a local double pole isolator as it can be isolated at your CU.

I would always isolate at the CU when doing maintenance anyway so a local DP isolator is pointless.

We have been here before. The regs don’t require a local double pole isolator as it can be isolated at your CU.

I would always isolate at the CU when doing maintenance anyway so a local DP isolator is pointless.

I still fit them as part of my MO though and it allows the customer to turn the fan off at night.
In this case it's not a bad way to hide a cable coming out of the ceiling either ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back