Utility room considerations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a utility room which contains a washing machine and freezer. At some point a downstairs loo was badly shoehorned into one corner of the room, ie. walled off and with a separate door, it just takes up so much space.

Ideally I would like to refit the whole area, taking down to the walls for the toilet and refitting the room to have, freezer (upright), washer and drier (drier is currently out in the garage) and a full size sink, but still keep the toilet.

Is there anything against doing this, ie. having a toilet in the same room as freezer etc. It just loses so much space by having it's own cubicle.

Sponsored Links
I would only avoid an area where food is prepared or consumed for a loo.

You may need forced air extraction, but from your description you should already have it, according to building regs..

Thanks for the replies.

Regarding forced air extraction, no the room doesn't currently have this, is there a reason why it should. Was converted to a utility room approx 1990, not sure when the toilet was added but clearly wasn't part of the original layout. It will be easy enough to put in if required.

Sponsored Links
I f you do not have an opening window in a room with a toilet then you need forced air ventilation ( for obvious reasons I would have thought).

I f you do not have an opening window in a room with a toilet then you need forced air ventilation ( for obvious reasons I would have thought).

Ah ok, both "rooms" currently have opening windows and will the planned larger room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back