Utility room conversation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan on converting a small area of my property into a utility room. Just to get to move the major appliances out there & another sink - no room for toilet or anything major!

This is the area I wish to convert :-

380709620_91254f0aa3.jpg

I guess it was built by the previous occupiers.

I have 2 questions really :-
1. Water Supply & waste - The easiest place for me to take a water feed from is the bathroom sink, as its directly above the roof on the left hand side.
Could I use polypipe or something similar & split the water from my bathroom sink? My biggest concern is could it damage an appliance if it was in use (ie a washing machine) & someone turned on the cold tap?

2. Heating
As you can see it has a box profile polycarbonate sheet roof. So it can get cold in that area - I was thinking of 2 options.
install a radiator or install electric underfloor heating.
Underfloor heating is the easy option, a radiator is possible, but would mean the feed & return pipes running along my living room wall & making things look a bit messy.
My biggest concern is a burst pipe or something in the cold weather (though touch wood, I have an outdoor tap at the far end of the garden with lagging on it which has not burst yet! - that was there before I bought the place.

can anyone give me some pointers if what I want to do is straight forward enough? There is already lighting & electricity, as the previous occupier used to run a small cab firm from within there.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that underfloor heating will have a job pushing out enough heat in the winter with that roof. so rad IMO. tee of with water is ok but that is as long as you have enough water pressure on the existing pipes, if not then that could be a problem. poly pipe is ok in that situation since its above floor level, mice are less likely to go for it.

I've put UFH in a similar situation just needed to close the pipe spacing. Cant remember exactly but I think it was 8" or 10". You'll need to check the spec. to be sure. Pointless wasting money heating a utility anyway. You only need to take the chill of the place not heat it to habitable room requirements.

Thanks for the input.
I guess water pressure should be fine.
I didnt think when posting, but everything in the kitchen is running off one pipe now - so I guess taking it from the bathroom shouldnt be a problem for pressure.

Its a sand/cement floor (i raised it 2" myself) I plan on cutting into it to make channel for the pipework + lagging.

I would like to put the dog kennel in there as well, providing he can get enough warmth.

The water plumbing was my main concern :)

Sponsored Links
Its a sand/cement floor (i raised it 2" myself) I plan on cutting into it to make channel for the pipework + lagging.

You normally need at least 50 mm ( 2" ) of insulation UNDERNEATH the UFH pipes!

But I dont see any advantage of UFH costing a lot more than rads and giving far less control.

Tony

You normally need at least 50 mm ( 2" ) of insulation UNDERNEATH the UFH pipes!

But I dont see any advantage of UFH costing a lot more than rads and giving far less control.

Tony

i was thinking the electric underfloor heating mat - id have the same problem with hot water UFH of getting a feed from a radiator without running pipework across 2 walls of my room. This area used to be outside space - some previous owner boarded, plastered & plonked a roof on top.

old photo of the area after I made a through entrance
2097017433_c02d38062f_z.jpg

you can see the radiator on the left.

better idea of size
4834497522_974c8f43d9_z.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back