Utility ROom Socket Shocker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
util_socket.jpg

Nice cable routing across front of the stud - discovered when I removed the plasterboard. Makes you wonder about the rest through the house.

How did they get away with such shoddy work 20 yrs ago?

Of course - not being a qualified sparky I can't touch this in our utility room (according to building regs!!) - Hold me back......

This appears to be a spur from an upstairs bedroom socket (wire turns up behind a noggin just out of pic -) is this still allowed??

Cheers for any advice

Sponsored Links
technically to the left of the socket is a safe zone. This is allowed. Though not sure of the nail holding it in. Thats shoddy, but its restrained, which is ok by the regs.

If the cable snakes up the wall in no particular direction (looks like it might) this is wrong.

I am amazed that beside the socket is considered "safe" - I always thought sockets were supposed to be fed from below - from the soleplate (bear in mind I am just a normal joe who has read a couple of DIY books) - I would always have expected that beside and above would NOT have wires heading in that direction.

The wire does meander across the space between two studs (I have found this elsewhere in the house too)

Stud/Wiring detector on order I reckon.

The reference to Utility room is me extrapolating the regs (Scotland) which explicitly mention Kitchen/Bathrooms and other places where there is water - I expected this would inlcude utility room (which generally include water) although I am happy to be contradicted....... :D

Sponsored Links
I am amazed that beside the socket is considered "safe"
Think about a kitchen. On a 4 metre length of worktop, I'd expect about 4 double sockets. I'd expect there to be a cable between them. This is why its a safe zone horizontally, as well as vertically from every accessory. ;)

Have a look af 'safe zones' in the wiki for info on where cables can be concealed.

The reference to Utility room is me extrapolating the regs (Scotland) which explicitly mention Kitchen/Bathrooms and other places where there is water - I expected this would inlcude utility room (which generally include water) although I am happy to be contradicted....... :D

What regs have you been looking at?

the cable doesn't NEED to be in a safe zone vertically.. it's clipped to the wall ( presumably ) at the back of a stud work..

it looks to be 50 x 50mm timber and with the 9 or 12mm plasterboard and any skim, that makes it more than 50mm from the surface of the wall ( and more than 50mm from the reverse as it's a block wall so at least 4 inches? )

the cable doesn't NEED to be in a safe zone vertically.. it's clipped to the wall ( presumably ) at the back of a stud work..

it looks to be 50 x 50mm timber and with the 9 or 12mm plasterboard and any skim, that makes it more than 50mm from the surface of the wall ( and more than 50mm from the reverse as it's a block wall so at least 4 inches? )

Yep, it looks like 2" timbers to me, so would just be deeper than 50mm from the face of the wall (very close though).

If this is the case, the only real crime is the nail is not ideal. Looks like they used a grommet which is a plus - thats the usual thing missing on a bodge job :rolleyes:

How about a wider shot?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back