Vailant combi boiler heater timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have just moved into a house that has a combi boiler. Is there a way to set the water only timer (not the central heating)? At the moment I can hear the boiler turning on throughout the night to heat the water. I've attached a photo, and the timer seems to be only for the radiators.

Attachments

• 15653792961346865989772822261470.jpg
    15653792961346865989772822261470.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
The timer on your boiler only controls the CH, the HW is activated when you open a hot tap, what is happening is what is called Hot water pre heat , it is a function of the boiler to keep it warm all the time , it is easy to switch off, turn the CH off and turn the HW temperature control down to minimum, wait till all lights go off and then turn it back to about 60 , if you want it back on turn the thermostat back to max and the pre heat light will come back on

Thanks ianmcd, so the water heater will stay preheated in the middle of the night too? Also what setting should the wall thermostat (the small wall one in the landing) be set to, currently it is 23. Any help gratefully accepted.

yes the pre-heat function on your boiler is either on or off, I always switch them off, the room thermostat is set to whatever you are comfortable with, as a rule, of thumb the lower it is set the cheaper your gas bills will be, some more modern control systems are a lot smarter and sophisticated, but you have a simple on off thermostat, if set at 23 then when the room that the thermostat is in reaches 23 degrees then the boiler will shut down for heating (the HW pre-heat if still selected to on will still come on regardless of what the room thermostat is set to)

Sponsored Links
Again, ianmcd, many thanks. Will turn the HW dial off at night and bank on again when I wake up, hopefully won't take too long to heat up the water for a shower!

Again, ianmcd, many thanks. Will turn the HW dial off at night and bank on again when I wake up, hopefully won't take too long to heat up the water for a shower!
Try the shower first without activating the pre- heat, you are only talking about a difference of under a minute, most people dont even notice that it has been turned off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back