Vaillant boiler coming on then dying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Lots of info below and then advice on what to do, please:

The boiler is a vaillant ecotect plus 415, open water system, water tank in loft, cylinder in bathroom. There are 7 radiators in the house. Previous issues with the boiler: loud kettling which was reduced by a Fernox F3 cleaner in the water container and a new pump attached to water cylinder. The pump was vibrating so loudly when newly attached, the tradesman came back out and put it on a lower setting. This was all done around 7 months ago.

The kettling sound still exists but much better than prior to the jobs being carried out above.

Fast forward to past few days: when either the hot water or heating is switched on from the Drayton console, the boiler fires up (flame image, as well as the physical sound of the boiler firing up and the kettling sound. The radiator image is stagnant and still). The egg timer (anti-cycle) is on during this time. Then after some time, for both the heating and hot water, the boiler turns off- the radiator image starts flashing, the flame image vanishes, the egg timer image eventually disappears, the kettling sound stops and the sound of the boiler goes to silent- as if the Drayton console is turned off. When you press the ibutton it says: S7

As an example of today:

Hot water was turned on for thirty minutes this morning. The first ten minutes, the boiler was working. The last twenty minutes it turned itself off. It tried to fire up a couple of times but immediately turned off. The reason it can't stay on when it tries to fire back up is because on the display you can see the temperature rapidly rise from say 40 degrees Celsius to 65/66 within 5 seconds and so it shuts down immediately as it thinks it's reached the set temp. It seems it can't understand what the temperature of the room is.

Same scenario with the heating. It was turned on for one hour in the afternoon. The first thirty minutes it was on, it climbed to 64 degrees Celsius. The last thirty minutes (it was on for one hour from the console) it switched itself off, in the same way as the hot water. Again it attempted to fire up a couple of times and couldn't. Obviously the hot water is not hot as it should be and the heating is cooling down once the boiler shuts itself off. This has not happened before.

A tradesman came out yesterday and said that the boiler would likely have to be replaced to a closed system (I don't think a sealed system is a good idea) depending on the landlord's okay. And he also said it's normal for the boiler to function like this (no it's not!).

We used to have a Worcester Bosch in our last place. No issues with it at all apart from the three port valve next to the boiler and ball valve above water cylinder being replaced.

Please could you help with these questions:

1. Am I right that the boiler is faulty?
2. What is the issue? A thermostat type issue? (The heat exchanger has not been replaced.)
3. Am I right in not wanting a sealed system if it is offered?
4. I think Bosch is better than Vaillant- but I also read good things about Viessman (that Viessmans has a stainless steel heat exchanger in comparison to Vaillant's aluminium.) Do you experts agree and between Bosch and Viessman, which do you prefer?
5. If a new boiler is not an option should the heat exchanger be replaced? If yes, should some kind of flush be carried out beforehand? And also some kind of draining of radiators? Or is there something else I'm not aware of?

I have spent the past two days reading. I can do that but I don't have experience in the manual aspects of fixing this boiler or the technical language and so connecting the dots is a little more tricky.

Any info, ideas, advice on what I should do next would be much appreciated.

Thank you...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It’s not your boiler, it’s the landlords isn’t it? I would imagine you have no say in the matter. It’s between the landlord and the tradesman.

If it’s kettling then it’s overheating, could be the pump failing or on its way out, blocked heat exchanger or combination of the 2. Boiler replacement will be discretion of landlord, not you asking for a Worcester Bosch.

It’s not your boiler, it’s the landlords isn’t it? I would imagine you have no say in the matter. It’s between the landlord and the tradesman
Out of my very long and genuine post, this is the only point you decided to discuss?

Sponsored Links
If it’s kettling then it’s overheating, could be the pump failing or on its way out, blocked heat exchanger or combination of the 2. Boiler replacement will be discretion of landlord, not you asking for a Worcester Bosch.
Hi CBW, where is this pump located? If you mean the three port valve, it was replaced this year.

Sorry by why is a sealed system worse than an open vented system ? Open systems can be woefully inefficient as the f&e tank can waste a lot of hot water.

I too would be screaming at the landlord...you are paying for that boiler....its their job to fix and fix it fast.

In terms of fixes...its the basics, Thumping in the boiler -...1. Bleed the rads when cold 2. sort out any crud, system cleaner should only run for a few weeks and then be flushed..it only losesens crud it does not remove it.

Do that first then move on...to boiler faults.

The 3 port valve was vibrating so loudly when newly attached, the tradesman came back out and put it on a lower setting.

That might actually be the pump. I don't think you can reduce the setting of a 3 port valve; it just opens and closes.

Does it look a bit like either of the two images below? Can you post a photo?

1669812820880.png

1669812586066.png

Sorry by why is a sealed system worse than an open vented system ? Open systems can be woefully inefficient as the f&e tank can waste a lot of hot water.

I too would be screaming at the landlord...you are paying for that boiler....its their job to fix and fix it fast.

In terms of fixes...its the basics, Thumping in the boiler -...1. Bleed the rads when cold 2. sort out any crud, system cleaner should only run for a few weeks and then be flushed..it only losesens crud it does not remove it.

Do that first then move on...to boiler faults.
Thank you martygturner.

1. Is system cleaner the Fernox F3 cleaner, I mentioned above? And how does it get flushed? I remember when the tradesman came out he only added the F3. Nothing was done after.

2. After doing the above. What could be the potential boiler faults?

Yes about inefficiency but as far as I know this is a low water pressure house and I have read it doesn't match a combi sealed as well as other issues with combis. And also a problem of radiator leaks with sealed combis. This is all just from my reading

Hi CBW, where is this pump located? If you mean the three port valve, it was replaced this year.
Hi @TheGirl, no I don’t mean the 3 port, the pump is likely to be located where the hot water cylinder is located and 3 port valve. You can’t adjust a 3 port valves setting so it’s likely the pump speed was lowered.

Hi @TheGirl, no I don’t mean the 3 port, the pump is likely to be located where the hot water cylinder is located and 3 port valve. You can’t adjust a 3 port valves setting so it’s likely the pump speed was lowered.
Thank you CBW, yourself and JonathanM are absolutely correct, the 3 port valve is sitting above the pump. Since it was the pump that was replaced this year, and the speed lowered, we can discount that, yes?

Could discount the pump, but check the pump speed - should be lit up on the front. Also those valves don’t look fully open

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back