Vaillant boiler drain cock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are a number of drain cocks fitted to the pipes on my central heating system, which enable a hose pipe to be pushed on and they give a nice tight fit - a jubilee clip isn't necessary.

However, the two drain cocks on the flow and return under my Vaillant ecoTec boiler have a screw thread and this is much narrower than a hose. I suspect a jubilee clip may hold the hose pipe onto this drain point, providing the hose is flexible enough to squash tight.

Is there a reason why the drain cocks on the boiler have this screw thread, rather than being like other drain cocks? Is it the same on all boilers or is this something that only Vaillant do.

It almost feels like something needs to be screwed onto the boiler drain cock, which then allows the drain pipe to be attached.

Just curious.

Sponsored Links
Most boiler drain offs are smaller than a standard 1/2" hose will fit.
Any half decent plumber will carry the correct sized hose to fit.

Sponsored Links
The OP is doing a lot of research for his plumber ;) How many threads is this for an expansion vessel now?

And that's where you are wrong Dan. The question was out of interest as I drained part of my CH system over the weekend to change a filling hose. It took a loooooong time to drain and halfway through I had the idea of opening the boiler drain cock as well as the one I had a hose connected to. That's when I noticed the difference in sizes and ended up holding a bucket under the boiler, thinking there must be a better way ;)

Re-filling the system was much faster.

I plan to drain the system again this week in preparation for my fitter turning up to replace the EV, a motorised valve, a pressure relief valve and the pressure sensor. So, just trying to prepare for doing it faster, but as a one-off I'm not really wanting to spend money on a manometer tubing that I will probably only use once. I suspect I may have a jubilee clip somewhere!

Oh ye just noticed I could cut half that out.

What A timesaver

This diynot is great........

And that's where you are wrong Dan. The question was out of interest as I drained part of my CH system over the weekend to change a filling hose. It took a loooooong time to drain and halfway through I had the idea of opening the boiler drain cock as well as the one I had a hose connected to. That's when I noticed the difference in sizes and ended up holding a bucket under the boiler, thinking there must be a better way ;)

I plan to drain the system again this week in preparation for my fitter turning up to replace the EV, a motorised valve, a pressure relief valve and the pressure sensor. So, just trying to prepare for doing it faster, but as a one-off I'm not really wanting to spend money on a manometer tubing that I will probably only use once. I suspect I may have a jubilee clip somewhere!
Considering the preparations for your installer I doubt whether he's charging you much if nothing at all..

Seriously - by the time you've proudly gone through all your preparations with the guy, and he's checked what you've done prior to doing what he's there to do, it would have been quicker just to let him crack on. Even if he doesn't check your workings, it'll save 5 minutes tops.

If I was doing it myself, don't you think I would have done it by now? Unfortunately my fitter let me down on Friday, and now can't make it until the end of the week. Typical unreliable tradesman!

Feck me - it only takes 30 to 45 minutes to do the whole job anyway start to finish. :LOL:

Is that all it takes? No wonder he didn't turn up, it's hardly worth the effort.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back