Vaillant boiler noise problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Vaillant boiler noise problem.

I have a Vaillant Eco Tech Plus 418. Installed in April 2008. Open vented system.

It was a no problem boiler until after this years service (£120.00), it has started to make noises.

When it modulates between 64 C and 61 C it whines on both heating and modulating down.

Then the burner goes off. After it cools down to 40 C. the burner turns on again and I have a pure tone while it warms up to 64 C.

The boiler is in the airing cupboard off my bedroom and as I have underfloor heating I get woken at 05.00 when the boiler starts. This didn't happen before the last service!

The service engineer says Vaillant Boilers used to be very good but they have gone down hill now. This is a usual problem. They have changed loads of parts in one Vaillant boiler recently by following the error codes and it still makes a noise. He said he could replace my April 2008 boiler with a better one.

“Which magazine” said it was the best.

I don't want to change my boiler.

Please can you help?

Gilesbo

Sponsored Links
get yourself a proper engineer who knows,about Vaillant boilers,

he,s talking a load of sh--

It sounds to me like the heat exchanger has a partial blockage, I could be wrong. Don't laugh, I use a doctors stethoscope to listen to boiler noises to establish the source of the noise and any half decent GSR would find the problem, and I don't care if you are in the middle of London £120 for a service is twice what it should be.

We normally expect a whine in certain boiler conditions to be a combustion related issue.

The test of that for the owner is to listen at the flue outlet and see if it particularly loud there.

I dont see how anyone can use a medical stethescope! They have a flat sensing surface about 50 mm diameter.

I use a specific mechanical stethescope with a 3 mm pin probe to listen for noisy parts in boilers!

Tony

Sponsored Links
We normally expect a whine in certain boiler conditions to be a combustion related issue.

The test of that for the owner is to listen at the flue outlet and see if it particularly loud there.

I dont see how anyone can use a medical stethescope! They have a flat sensing surface about 50 mm diameter.

I use a specific mechanical stethescope with a 3 mm pin probe to listen for noisy parts in boilers!

Tony
That's interesting tony I am not aware of the one you have I got mine about 15 yrs ago so haven't looked since.

The proper instrument gives a signal to both ears and the testing point is on a flexible tube so it can go where others cannot get to with their screwdrivers!

It also looks more professional as well.

Tony

never had a problem locating boiler noise with a screwdriver!!

if you are unable to narrow it down to a precise location with local testing of components that can be reached then i question how well you know the basic operating principles of the components and waterways! :LOL:

seriously i would feel a fool bringing a scope out my toolkit and never has anyone been shocked at my primitave ear!

never had a problem locating boiler noise with a screwdriver!!

if you are unable to narrow it down to a precise location with local testing of components that can be reached then i question how well you know the basic operating principles of the components and waterways! :LOL:

seriously i would feel a fool bringing a scope out my toolkit and never has anyone been shocked at my primitave ear!
When your hearing is less than 100% by quite a lot then you will understand the need for assisted listening. Also I have had more than one person say that I must take my job very seriously which is a good thing to hear isn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back