Vaillant ecoTEC plus 831 boiler noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any Vaillant boiler experts out there as we have found that the 2 Vaillant Engineers who have visited so far (plus Vaillant and the Plumber who fitted our boiler) do not have the knowledge to resolve the problem on their own boiler and seem to have put the issue down to 'my imagination'. A year later, the humming/buzzing/howling noise continues all night long when both water and heating is not in use and I have not had a decent night's sleep since this boiler was fitted. It seems impossible to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. We have yet another Engineer visiting next week; recommended. Though we expect background noise whilst the heating and water are in use; we didn't expect the noise 247. A year of our guarantee is over already.

Sponsored Links
Does it do it with the boiler switched off ie. no power?

Does it do it with comfort mode switched off?

Does it do it if the cold inlet is turned off under the boiler?

We have switched everything off in the house and the noise continues. There is also the sound of water - as if a tap is constantly running. Vaillant Engineer told us to get the water board out to check leaks which we did, and they said there weren't any leaks and that manufacturers always seem to pass water sound problems to the water board when it is probably to do with the boiler or plumbing of boiler. We have even had the alarm checked and the noise is not coming from that. With our old boiler, though it needed replacing, once off - there was complete silence at night. I will check your 3 Q's and come back to you but pretty sure the previous 2 engineers checked these out. Thanks for reply.

Yes, Yes and we will check your 3rd question. How do we know which is the cold inlet?

Sponsored Links
Does anyone else, apart from you, ever hear these noises?

Tony

Yes. We can all hear them - it's not my imagination! Some nights louder than other nights.

Probably the 4th pipe along from the right hand side. On the right the white condense, 15mm safety (prob goes through the wall), 22mm heating, then 15mm cold inlet.

It could be pipe noise transmitted through the pipework from a toilet float valve or from the neighbours pipework. What sort of property is it?

Yes. We can all hear them - it's not my imagination! Some nights louder than other nights.

Why are "we" ?

Do all of the engineers who have attended hear the noise?

With electricity and water disconnected from the boiler, then why do you blame the boiler?

What noise source do you think can provide a noise without a source of energy?

Tony

Don't suffer from tinnitus.

That's what an older BBC engineer used to think when he could hear mains hum at home all the time!

Eventually he agreed that he had tinnitus after having his hearing checked!

I can only mention that now because he has died!

Tony

Have located cold inlet (4th from right?) and will check. Have already eliminated toilet floats though do have an older toilet upstairs which will be rid of in Feb! End house; the mention of noise transmitting from neighbour has been checked but need to look at this again.

'We' refers to the family of 4 who live here and hears the noise during the night which the Engineers couldn't hear during the day.

What about visitors?

Has anyone outside your family heard this noise?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back