Vaillant Ecotec PLUS 831 **NOISE**

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had my central heating system updated 3 weeks ago with a new Vaillant Ecotec Plus 831 Condensing Boiler and the system was power flushed during the installation. All the radiators have had TRV’s fitted and a new room Stat fitted. The system was treated with corrosion inhibitor on completion of the installation.

This boilers performance is a massive improvement on my old boiler, however after about a week it has developed what could only be described as a loud 'clicking' noise when operating in central heating mode and when a hot tap is opened. It continues when the boiler is not operating for a while until I assume it has cooled down. So far this has not affected its performance.
After about a week of clicking noises I decided to get the plumber back to take a look, but was unable to pinpoint were the clicking noise was coming from so he rang Vaillant and arranged an Engineer to visit.
Vaillant Engineer came tweaked about inside with a spanner and screwdriver probably tightening nuts and screws and he also witnessed the clicking noise and said that it was a normal expansion noise and nothing was wrong and left. Informed plumber results of Vaillant visit and said he would try and investigate further as he has fitted loads of this boiler including same boiler next door 6 months ago with no noise problems.
Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Tony.

Sponsored Links
My first port of call would be the pump, especially if the ticking ends about 5 mins or so after the boiler goes off.

Vaillant, or should I say group service numpties, haven't a clue how to fix their own boilers. They are just parts changers these days. :rolleyes:

Had one local to me recently, threw no end of parts at it over 3 visits, all to no avail, only when a proper engineer visited, not a glow worm numpty, was the fault found to be an installation fault with the flue :LOL:

(Not one of mine I hasten to add ;) )

the burner mounting torx screws need heat sink applying to the threads.

Hi, I have the same boiler and same problem.
Did you get it all fixed, was the heat sink on the torx screws the solutions ?

Where do I get "Heat Sink" ?

Thanks. (Hope you are all reading replies after a year !)

Sponsored Links
I loosened the torx screws slightly which solved this problem. Then after approx 3 months (giving time for boiler to settle down) I re-tightened the torx screws and hey presto! no more clicking noise.

Thanks for getting back to me - I will give it a try.
Is it the 4 torx screws on the burner module (Coming out from the centre of the heat exchange - and has 4 torx screws in each corner of the square)
They are the only Torx screws I can remember seeing.

Once again, thanks for the help.

stop playing about with the screws that hold in your burner ffs.
This is a job for an RGI not a diyer. You could cause a serious gas leak.

Its the four nuts on the outer heat exchange, using a socket set. You will have to remove one screw on the black air intake pipe to get to the nut behind. I only loosened it by a half turn. Not as previous post who must have thought that I loosened it to a degree that it was hanging on by a thread!! I know that this was the problem as I loosened the four bolts (no clicking noise) tightened them (clicking noise). Left them loosened for approx 3 months to let the boiler 'bed in' then retightened them.
As to mickyg's post, I had 3 so called experts who couldn't solve this problem!!!!!!!!!!! SO Like anyone with internet access I found a solution that worked for me.
Had boiler serviced after one year, works fine and saves me shed loads of cash compared to old boiler...

As to mickyg's post, I had 3 so called experts who couldn't solve this problem!!!!!!!!!!! SO Like anyone with internet access I found a solution that worked for me.
Had boiler serviced after one year, works fine and saves me shed loads of cash compared to old boiler...

cant comment on any monkies you've employed, just stating a fact that you shouldnt be loosening these bolts. They should be tight. The seal behind them is very slim, it wouldnt take alot of loosening to cause a leakage of gas. I've worked on hundreds of ecotecs and I would NEVER leave the burner bolts loose to any degree. Did you check for leaks after your handywork? Just because you didnt have any problems doesnt make it right, and it certainly isnt the signal to advise a raft of other diyers to do the same, they may be more stupid than you and end up loosening them too much.

I was cringing to read of DIYers opening their boilers and loosening combustion chamber screws.

But I was thinking that the problem would be with the Nyloc nuts and wondered why Mouse was mentioning the torx screws on the burner/feed tube.

I cannot be sure of the tolerances on those boilers but most seals are designed that when the nuts are fairly tight the metal flanges are pressed together and at that point the seal is correctly compressed.

There has been a history of failed seals on earlier Vaillant boilers and the damage that can cause is considerable.

Tony

Once again thanks. All of above taken into account. Installation engineer is coming round - I will see what he does and then advise on above solution if he does not do it himself.

He will check for leaks - so will hopefully solve problem.

Some DIYers do know what they are doing - and will err on the side of caution, which in some respects is better than some "know it all" pros who may not.

Those reading these forums , both DIYers and pros are doing so for a reason. Some would just mess with a boiler, without knowledge, others seak first to understand then make a judgement on wether a pro is required.

Let's not argue - if someone is going to "mess" around with a boiler without understanding possible consequences, they will do it regardless of what is said on here.

Thanks all.

Agree with Juddy234 with is said in above reply.

There are RGIs out there who 'mess' about with boilers but know the consequencies of what can go wrong ( I hope they do). There are other RGIs who work on the side of caution and will get further information and varification before they 'tinker' with the gas appliance.

A DIYer is working in the dark as he/ she does not know what can go wrong when they loosen a screw by 'half a turn' Have seen the damage that can take place inside when bolts are tight let alone loose by half turn.

My advise to DIYers who think they know what they are doing. Keep on trucking as they say, as long as you are not praticsing your black magic near me.

What the hell are you clowns doing? :eek: (juddy & tony)

When you disturb the seal on the main heat exchanger it MUST be replaced. You THINK you know what you are playing with but haven't got an FFFing clue. What, pray tell where the reading s from your FGA with both case on & off?

Will you be crying about Vaillant being a bad manu when you have a melt down? and begging for a gratia repair. :evil:

Beerlover..... which bit of "installation engineer coming round" do you not understand ? ?

Read before you rant !

If you are a pro and not DIYer, then how about using your wealth of experience and advice as to what you think could be causing the noise - then - I can point my installer or an engineer in the right direction.

Tony's experience with the pros is not good and he could have done with the knowledge he now has to help them.

Is that not what this forum is for ?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back