Vaillant boiler pressure range

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a unvented system. When my boiler is cool (23 'C degrees) the pressure goes down to 1 bar (sometimes 0.9 bar), when heating and hot water are on, the boiler pressure can go up to 2.4 bar. Is this normal? I have had low pressure issues before and had the heat exchanger changed but not sure what I am seeing now is a problem. Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. I'd get the expansion vessel checked. May have lost some or all of its air side charge.
2. Its quite a large pressure increase between cold and hot. At 3 bar, the pressure relief valve (PRV) is likely to operate and spill water to outside. Once they have operated, PRVs tend to weep.
3. How many radiators do you have?

I have 10 radiatiors and a megaflo tank. The guy who installed the system said he used more underfloor pipes than he would normally due to delays from the builder. The engineer on my service contract had a look for leaks as I was topping up every 2 weeks when seeing the pressure dropping and he found no leaks anywhere (he previously added a leak sealer). He changed the heat exchanger to eliminate the possibility of a boiler leak 3 weeks ago. I have been checking pressure readings daily since then when the boiler is cool and hot and noticed the large pressure range. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you need someone to calculate your water volume , you may need a larger expansion vessel, or the existing one is under charged

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back