Vaillant combi boiler leaking and losing pressure daily

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Vaillant combi boiler and last week it lost its pressure and gave the f22 error message. I topped up the boiler by allowing water back in via the valves underneath the system. This worked however i then noticed it was leaking from underneath the boiler and the pressure had risen to around 2.5 bars, the leaking was not from a pipe but seemingly from inside the boiler. I reduced the pressure by bleeding a radiator and this stopped the leak and brought the pressure to 1 bar.

I checked it again a few hours later and the pressure had reduced and the f22 error message was back on the display. I then did the whole process again and after a few hours the pressure dropped and the f22 returned.

We have hot water and heating when it is working but there is obviously an issue.

An engineer has looked at it from a local company and has said the expansion vessel is broken and we need a PRV valve replacement. Also the pump is leaking and this will also need replacing. The quote is around £450 for the parts and labour.

I just want to check if there are some thoughts on what this is and if the technician has given the correct diagnosis. £450 is a lot of money so i want to make sure.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
No one on here would be able to tell you if the engineer has given the right diagnostics without looking at the boiler,
The F22 fault is associated with low pressure meaning you have a leak/PRV fault/EV fault.
If its obvious the pump is leaking and a new one is required £450 don,t seem bad.
But at a guess the pump could just need a new seal or joint re-making.

It is most likely the EXV can be repressurised, the relief valve is a cheap part about £20 and the pump about £200. So it sounds a rather expensive price. Those are typical of what could be the problem based on what you have said.

However, he seems to have given a free diagnosis so doing that when only some of his quotes are going to be accepted means that he is always going to be charging more than someone like me who always charges to diagnose faults.

You could consider fixed price repairs from Vaillant or British Gas. These are usually about £300 and can be good value when an expensive part is needed.

But I expect that I could probably sort it out for a little less than £300 if the EXV can be represurised. 90% can be!

Tony

Thank you so much for your thoughts guys.

I have tried to contact Vaillant direct but was on hold for around 30 minutes before just trying email but still no luck from hearing from them. Cant seem to find a pricing structure on their web page for repairs or much information in general! I'll keep trying.

Tony i think you are london based and im bristol but thank you for the quote and offer. The guy is part of a local company who seem reputable, i am just always very wary of a first quote as have been stung in the past so i wanted to get a second opinion from you guys who have helped me in the past and i value the experience you all have.

The vaillant seems like a good shout if they only charge £300 irrespective of what the issue is so i might keep tryign to contact them, it sounds like you need to know these boilers quite well from what im readign so i would hope the company would send someone who knew how to fix it. Im just glad to hear the pumps and parts are that cost and his diagnosis could be relatively accurate.

Thanks again chaps

Sponsored Links
Hi guys

Thanks for all your help, just to say i managed to get Vaillant to provide 6 months cover including them coming out as quickly as my local company and it was £300. Thanks for the advice as i couldn't find their prices anywhere so it was a good idea to contact them direct.

Many Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back