Vaillant EcoTec Pro losing pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Vaillant EcoTec Pro is losing pressure. I'd had the problem once before, and after finding advice online I upped the pressure by turning the tap underneath the boiler, and all was well.

A few months later it has happened again. I have boosted the pressure and the heater fires up. The light on the front remains orange and never reaches green. The pressure seems to be reducing if not topped up every minute or so, and if left alone it eventually shuts off with the F.22 error message.
The highest temperature I've got it to is 67'c.

I've checked all radiators for leaks, as well as around the boiler, but there aren't any.

Any ideas of a solution are much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You've got a leak somewhere, quite a serious one if it needs topping up every minute or so!

Check around the system for obvious signs of damp and check the PRV isn't leaking. The PRV outlet usually a 15mm copper pipe that goes from the boiler straight outside.

PS

The light doesn't need to go to green, the green light lights up when the aqua comfort mode is on. Amber/orange is for when the burner is lit.

Yeah what style of house is it? Outside the house probably where the boiler is there will be a copper pipe. Is it dripping?

There is a small amount of water that has come from it, although it's hard to tell as it's raining today.
Could this have been caused by me raising the pressure too high though?

Sponsored Links
If you press the I button on the front panel it will give a digital reading of the pressure, what does this say? Might not be I, it's the bottom left but I'm having a memory blank right now!

If it goes above 3 then yes that could have caused water to go out that pipe.

It does sound more like an under floor leak but it's easier to check that pipe(prv) first.

It's the - button. I'd raised it above 3 a few times and the amount of water definitely from the pipe is pretty small.
I'll carry on with it tomorrow as it's dark now and the boiler is located under the house.
Thanks for the help.

As it's dry today I can tell whether the copper pipe is leaking better.

I upped the pressure on the boiler to about 2.0 at the most, and there is some water coming out of the pipe. Not a lot though, just a slight trickle.

As it's dry today I can tell whether the copper pipe is leaking better.

I upped the pressure on the boiler to about 2.0 at the most, and there is some water coming out of the pipe. Not a lot though, just a slight trickle.
if there is a trickle coming out I would say that is your problem. It really doesn't take much water to drop the pressure. So definitely a prv required. Possibly even an expansion vessel but as the vessel is inside on that boiler you would need a RGI. To check it and replace if required.

bit far to go to give a price on that one hey darren :LOL: :LOL: lol

peekay53

we all make mistakes thats why they put rubbers on pencils

cougarric i would advise against topping up your boiler in future if you are topping up in excess of 2 bar you really do need to know what you are doing so please get someone in who knows what they are doing and them they can show you exactly what you can and cant do instead of guessing
remember the old saying a little knowledge is dangerous well never more so when there is gas/ water/heat and pressure involved

peekay53

well personally i dont care you can "experiment"all you like but you are in danger of at the very minimum overpressurising the system and causing leaks or worst case prv gives up the ghost and does not vent and you then find out the weakest point in system rads pipework boiler its self
but you carry on "Experimenting" its your right

peekay53

we all make mistakes that is why they put rubbers on pencils

Thanks for all the advice. I've stopped experimenting with it until I get someone out to look at it.
We have had periods since where the boiler has fired up with a minimal increase in pressure, and has stayed on for an hour or so. However, when returning to it the pressure is around 0.4, or F.22 error.
One thing I forgot to mention, is that these problems started following a power cut. Would this be likely to cause something to go wrong with the boiler?

you will always get a slight rise in pressure whilst boiler is operating
but you problem is lack of pressure it could be a really small leak or the pressure relief valve or possibly the expansion vessel could all be your problem i really would advise you to have it looked at topping up system
all the time is not good as your introducing air into system and diluting the system inhibitor

peekay53

power cut very unlikely to cause this prblem with water pressure most likely the items i mentioned

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back