Vaillant dhw heat exchanger - how to remove!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have a vaillant combi, eco/turbo xyz..., whatever it's called, it has a DHW heat exchange like this one.

http://www.uk-plumbing.com/vaillant-dhw-heat-exchanger-065088-p-32612.html

The mains in socket has started to spring a little leak, I've read the installers guide, and it does not detail how to attach or remove the DHW heat exchanger! I read another installation guide and it said just push it off, but I've tried that (undoing the screw socket at the bottoem and removing all holding pins etc), and the thing wont shift.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm hoping I can just replace the "o-ring" and fit it back togethaer to stop the leak?

Idea's?

Many thanks
Ross

Sponsored Links
I managed to get the thing off, using a bit of wood rubber hammer. It was hard work, I got lucky. While I was hammering a way the at the DHW exhanger I was hammering it down a bit to, this meant it was hitting another pipe behind it, which got a bit bent, but luckily did not crack or come out at the solder. It was lucky though, IF your doing this be careful not to hit down!

After I got the thing off, the problem was clear, a rubber o ring had perished, down to B&Q for a new set, and some grease, they dont sell silicon grease, so i ended up at screw fit, who only had a £10 tub of gel lube, which i thought i might as well get away. I think you could get way with a bit of washing up liquid really, anyway...

Fitted the new o ring and a new washer to the threaded joint, and it was water tight! problem was that another leak had started....!

Off again with the DHW exchanger and, and then out came the new leaking pipe (it was the pipe that takes the mains water to the DHW exchange unit, must have come lose while i was hammering away...) new o ring on there two, and plugged back in.

Pleased to say that although it took a few days alls well not, no drips!!!

Hardest part was getting the dam thing off, give what was said in the other post, I wonder in the plumber before had used a jointing compound on the dripping pipe?

I recoken if you can get it off then the fix is easy.

good luck if you have the same issue, hope this was helpful!!!

Ross

there always stiff if their the original plate he. Just have to give it a good whack with something. should use the right size orings ideally, doubt you'd get the exact size off the shelf in a shed.

Sponsored Links
Conderable resourcefulness being used there!

However, I would always advise any extreme DIYers to set themselves up with more advice BEFORE starting and to use the genuine manufacturers spare parts.

Tony

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I was a bit worries that the o-rings would not fit, but they did, perfectly, are they not just standard sizes? I'll keen my eye on the boiler over the next few weeks but so far so good.

I will take on board the point about using genuine spares for future reference.

Thanks again

Ross

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back