vaillant ecomax pro 18e is dead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I'd be greatful if anyone could help with this.

I'm looking at an ecomax pro 18e which is dead. When its switched on there's no green / or red light or fault codes. The display is dead.

I've checked the pcb and there is power to it.The fuse hasn't blown.

I've replaced the pcb with a new one and the user interface and controls interface with new ones but still no joy.

The overheat thermostat is 'closed circuit' and pressed in.

I disconnected the pump from the pcb and that had no joy either.

Everything appears ok. I'm scratching my head now.

The one thing I would say is that the gas pressure (to the cooker) is very low.

The gas supply to the boiler appears ok.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Barry.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the response adl.

Rechecked again (with multimeter) and I have power on the pcb connector.

Regs. Bazza.

just read post again give transco ring over the cooker as meter may not be giving the right working pressure for the cooker

and give rgi ring over your boiler as not sure it may be some thing simple but can`t tell with out looking

Sponsored Links
Has the seal been changed on the main heat exchanger? If not check for water leakage into the fan transformer directly below it.
If so the cure is a new pcb kit and seal, this will do away with the need for the transformer. ;)

Thanks all for your feedback.

I want to keep this thread complete for any interested parties future reference.

Latest.

Having spoken to a Vaillant engineer,I should have a display on the boiler if I have polarity on the pcb and the user interface is connected correctly.
They're the only things required to be connected).

The only thing that would prevent this is the fan (connection J4).
Disconnect this and if the pcb and user interface are o.k. you should get a display.

The replacement pcb (part 130837) I fitted is the old IRIS type (large transformer) which has a DC fan connector on it, which is not compatible without modification to bypass the fan connector.

I need to replace with the current SYMSI board. (no connection for a DC Fan).

I'll give you an update when I get the part.

(Knowledge is power .. and all that).

Regards.

Bazza.

O.K.

Thanks to all for replying to this.

Closure on this.

Dead boiler was due to Neutral fault.

Once fixed, boiler had f13 error which means check all pcb conections and if still error'd then it's a board fault.

This F13 was caused because when the new pcb was fitted, the connection from H7 to the controls interface was "physically" as per the wiring diagram but not correct for live and neutral. (You can see this if you look on the back of the pcb and follow the contacts from H7 to H8).

Turn the connector upside down (Thank you Vailant hotline - option 3) and it's all good.

Thanks.

PS.

Regulator replaced and gas pressure good - Thanks Transco.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back